ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
73°
Mostly Cloudy
H 89° L 67°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    73°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 89° L 67°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    85°
    Afternoon
    Mostly Cloudy. H 89° L 67°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    87°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 91° L 71°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Victory Christian case: Daughertys change plea to no contest
Close

Victory Christian case: Daughertys change plea to no contest

Victory Christian case: Daughertys change plea to no contest
Photo Credit: Russell Mills

Victory Christian case: Daughertys change plea to no contest

The son and daughter-in-law of the founders of Victory Christian Center apparently changed their minds and decided to plead no contest to one count each of failure to report child abuse in a case that has grabbed national headlines.

KRMG has confirmed with the court clerk in Tulsa County that John and Charica Daugherty pleaded no contest Friday morning.

Each was handed a five-year deferred sentence.

As conditions of that sentence, the judge ordered them to pay $500 fines plus court costs, and to reach out to at least 20 other institutions and discuss their experiences to warn them about the necessity of reporting crimes against  children, and to discuss how to prevent the abuse from happening in the first place.

In five years they will go back to court, and at that time the judge will determine if they have met his conditions.

If so, he will dismiss the charges against them and the case will be dropped.

Their attorney, Jason Robertson, tells KRMG this was not a plea deal.

"There was definitely no deal with the D.A., we've never had any discussions with the D.A. from the beginning about any kind of plea deal," Robertson told KRMG.

"John and Charica were ready for the process healing to begin. As we evaluated the case, we knew that if the judge could just get the information in front of him, he would make the right decision," he added.

They had previously pleaded not guilty, and had requested a jury trial which was to begin next month.

Paul Willemstein, Anna George, and Harold "Frank" Sullivan waived their right to a jury trial, but the Daughertys' attorney, Jason Robertson, told KRMG they had decided to face a jury.

All five faced a misdemeanor count of failing to report child abuse.

Robertson, has told KRMG that he believes they are "targets of a political smear rather than a criminal prosecution."

He had filed two motions to dismiss the charges, but a judge ruled against his clients.

The other three employees had a hearing March 18, and a judge considered their cases.

He sentenced Willemstein and George to 30 days in jail plus one year suspended, while Sullivan received a year, suspended.

Chris Denman, a former Victory janitor, pleaded guilty last year to first-degree rape and other charges in the assault of the girl on church property.

He's currently serving a 55-year sentence.

After his arrest, the church admitted in a letter sent to KRMG that some of its employees had knowledge of the rape, but had failed to tell the girl's parents or police for more than two weeks.

Subsequently, another former employee, Israel Castillo, was arrested and charged with making a lewd proposal to a minor and use of a computer to facilitate a sex crime.

The second count was later dismissed; his jury trial on the lewd proposal count is set for August.

John Daugherty is the senior high youth pastor at Victory, his wife Charica is the assistant senior high youth pastor.

Anna George is the high school outreach program director, Willemstein an associate youth pastor, and Sullivan the church's human resources director.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • A shooting victim dies in the hospital after being gunned down on a grocery store parking lot. Tulsa police tell us a 26- to 27-year male was shot around 10:30 Monday night at the Turley Food Express near 56 Street North.  “Officers were able to locate witnesses that stated a black male arrived in the parking lot exited a vehicle (and) fired multiple shots at the victim while in the parking lot,” said Tulsa Police Sergeant August Terbrock.   We're told there is no description of the vehicle or the suspect, so crime scene detectives have taken over the investigation. The victim’s name has not been released.
  • No charges will be filed in a police shooting last week. Investigators have found no criminal wrongdoing in the police killing of a mentally ill, knife-wielding black man by officers.   Tulsa police homicide Sgt. Dave Walker tells the Tulsa World about the findings Monday from the internal investigation of the June 9 shooting of Jason Barre. Tulsa County District Attorney's Office will review the findings next and decide if it concurs.   Barre already was known to police as having a mental illness. When he walked down a street wielding two butcher knives on June 9, two sheriff's deputies and a police officer gave him room until he approached a convenience store. After a stun gun failed to stop Barre, the deputies and officer shot him.
  • Two dogs mauled a woman over the weekend.   Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin said Monday that 65-year-old Melissa Barnes was doing yard work Saturday at a residence west of Bozeman when she was attacked, first by a pit bull, followed by another dog. The breed of the second dog hasn't been confirmed.   Barnes, who is an organ donor, was being kept on life support at a Billings hospital pending rabies tests on the dogs, which belonged to tenants on Barnes' property. The dogs were not current on their vaccinations. Their owners voluntarily euthanized them.   Gootkin says the case is still under investigation, and no charges have yet been filed.
  • Hours after the release of a Congressional Budget Office review of a Republican health care bill in the Senate, GOP leaders on Monday night found themselves on the defensive, as a small group of Senate Republicans indicated they might not even vote this week to start debate on the GOP health bill, let alone support the final product. “CBO says 22 million people lose insurance,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), who made clear the GOP plans to reduce Medicaid spending by $772 billion over ten years was unacceptable in her home state. Collins was joined by several other Republicans in publicly saying that without changes, they are not ready to begin debate this week: I want to work w/ my GOP & Dem colleagues to fix the flaws in ACA. CBO analysis shows Senate bill won't do it. I will vote no on mtp. 1/3 — Sen. Susan Collins (@SenatorCollins) June 26, 2017 Mike Lee's spokesman tells me: 'Lee will not vote to proceed to a bill he can't support.'https://t.co/eGe2fSyA09 — John McCormack (@McCormackJohn) June 26, 2017 Ron Johnson on the motion to proceed to the GOP health care bill: 'I would highly doubt I would support it.' — Frank Thorp V (@frankthorp) June 26, 2017 Also ready to vote against the “motion to proceed” to the health care bill – Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), and Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV). Democrats meanwhile used speeches on the Senate floor – and social media outside on the steps of the Capitol – to make their argument that the GOP bill should be shelved immediately. Ummm…people streaming to the Capitol. Crowd getting bigger and bigger and bigger. #HealthcareBill pic.twitter.com/SKnjQtzrBh — Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) June 27, 2017 The original plan had been for the Senate to vote on Tuesday to begin debate on the GOP health care bill, with a final vote expected on Thursday or Friday – but that timeline seemed to be on hold for the time being. Earlier on Monday, the Congressional Budget Office found that the plan would mean 22 million fewer people would have health insurance by 2026, not much different than the estimates for a similar bill that was approved by the House in early May. The CBO report found that of the 22 million – 15 million would lose insurance coverage from changes to the Medicaid program, while another 7 million people would lose coverage because of changes in the nongroup and individual insurance marketplaces. The CBO review had good news on the money front for the GOP, as the plan would save an estimated $321 billion over ten years on the federal deficit, spending $1.022 trillion less than current law, while reducing federal tax revenues by $701 billion from 2017-2026. The White House derided the CBO report, arguing their estimates have never been close; meanwhile, the President was doing what he could do from the sidelines to try to sway Republicans to his side. “He made several calls to multiple Senators to hear their concerns and get their ideas, and understand where they’re at and what needs to get done,” said White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer. But with Republicans only able to lose two votes, GOP leaders were struggling to keep the GOP health bill on track in the Senate.
  • The website Money-Rates.com has figured out the best and worst states to make a living. And sure, money is the big factor, including both salaries and the cost of living, as well as income taxes. But they also factor in unemployment rates and workplace safety. The worst three are California and Hawaii, for high taxes and cost of living that outweigh even their high wages, and Montana for low wages and poor workplace safety. You can see the full list here.