The technique isn't new, but the result may save lives.
Scientists believe they can make eating at least five peanuts a day safe for 90% of the world's children with allergies to the legume.
Before you say five peanuts isn't much consider this.
The goal wasn't to allow kids to begin eating peanuts; it was simply to keep them from suffering anaphylactic shock if they accidently do.
Anaphylactic shock can occur if someone ingests something they are highly allergic to and it can easily lead to their death.
The STOP II trial is the largest ever done, it looked at 99 children from seven to 16 years old.
Over a nearly six month period the kids were given small amounts of peanut protein. The dose was gently raised until they were eventually able to eat five peanuts without serious issues.
Dr Andrew Clark led the team, he said:
“This treatment allowed children with all severities of peanut allergy to eat large quantities of peanuts, well above the levels found in contaminated snacks and meals, freeing them and their parents from the fear of a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.”
Scientists made a point to also send a warning.
“It is important to note that OIT is not a treatment people should try on their own and should only be done by medical professionals in specialist settings.”