ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
100°
Partly Cloudy
H 100° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    100°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 100° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    79°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 100° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    95°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 99° L 76°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
Oregon bar sues former bartender for $115K for drinking on job
Close

Oregon bar sues former bartender for $115K for drinking on job

Oregon bar sues former bartender for $115K for drinking on job
Photo Credit: Mario Tama/Getty Images
Owners of a bar in Portland, Oregon, are suing a former bartender for $115,000.

Oregon bar sues former bartender for $115K for drinking on job

Owners of an Oregon bar are suing a former bartender for $115,000, claiming they lost that amount when the man broke Oregon Liquor Control Commission rules by drinking on the job last year, The Oregonian reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The bartender, Gunnar Hokan Jorstad, 25, will ask a Multnomah County Circuit judge to throw out a lawsuit filed by the Barrel Room, The Oregonian reported. According to the lawsuit, the bar’s liquor license was suspended for 21 days, a ban that goes into effect Jan. 20.

Jorstad’s lawyer, Michael Fuller, said in a statement that the Barrel Room’s attempt to collect from Jostad is “frivolous” and “absurd,” the newspaper reported.

According to the lawsuit, Jorstad was drunk while serving customers at the Barrel Room on Jan. 13, 2018. As a result, the bar’s liquor license was suspended for 21 days, and the commission suspended Jorstad’s server’s license for 18 days, The Oregonian reported. Jorstad admitted he was intoxicated while serving customers, according to court documents.

Commission spokesman Matthew Van Sickle said a police officer noticed Jorstad in a highly intoxicated state outside the bar about 10 p.m. Jan. 13, 2018, the newspaper reported. Five hours later, police were called to remove Jorstad from the bar as he neared the end of a shift that started at 8 p.m., Van Sickle said.

Douglas Raab, a Portland attorney representing the Barrel Room, could not be reached for comment.

Read More
  • Tulsa police arrested Reginald Lewis Monday for the August 6th shooting death of Adrian Thornton. Thornton was found shot to death in a car at an apartment complex near Apache and Peoria. Police got a tip that a homicide suspect was in the house with his girlfriend and her three children. Lewis ran away, but was caught in a nearby yard. Detectives are still looking to talk to Brandon Gundy in connection to the shooting. 
  • Echoing the campaign trail warnings of President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence told the Detroit Economic Club on Monday that if Democrats succeed in winning the White House in 2020, it would mean an economic catastrophe for many Americans. 'I honestly believe if any one of the Democrats on that debate stage wins the Presidency, the gains of the last two and a half years would be wiped out,' the Vice President said in a speech. 'Taxes would skyrocket. The stock market would tank. Jobs would vanish and we would get this recession that naysayers are talking about,' Pence added. Pence's message - part excitement about the Trump economy, and part gloom and doom about the Democrats - was much like that of President Trump's campaign stop last week in Manchester, New Hampshire, when he said the bottom line is simple: 'You have no choice but to vote for me because your 401(k)s go down the tubes, everything is gonna be down the tubes,' the President said about a Democratic victory in 2020. On Monday morning, Mr. Trump went on Twitter to rail against Democrats - charging they were rooting for a recession to drive him from office - and again jawboning the Chairman of the Federal Reserve - arguing once more for interest rate cuts to spur economic growth. In his Detroit speech, the Vice President gave no hints of any second-guessing about the current trade fight between the U.S. and China. which has spurred some volatility on Wall Street. 'At the President's direction, we've put tariffs on $250 billion in Chinese goods,' Pence said, making clear the Trump Administration is not going to back down - specifically tying the trade talks to the current unrest in Hong Kong. 'As the President said yesterday, it will be much harder for us to make a deal if something violent happens in Hong Kong,' Pence added.
  • A Tulsa police officer has bonded out of jail after his arrest on a complaint of carrying a weapon where alcohol is sold, a felony.  The charge was filed against Jeffrey Shane Statum Friday. A probable cause affidavit filed in the case indicates that Statum appeared intoxicated and had a loaded firearm in his pocket when officers responded to a call from Club Majestic downtown on August 3rd. They were told Statum had flashed a badge, claiming to be an undercover officer named “Jason Brown.” Witnesses also told officers Statum had inappropriately grabbed some women at the bar.  Statum denied the accusations, and according to the affidavit, denied having a gun.  However, officers reportedly found one when they patted him down, and he was arrested.  He was released after posting a $10,000 bond.  TPD issued a brief statement, saying he was suspended without pay pending the outcome of the investigation, and that he'd been with the department since May of 2017. 
  • Officials say they seized $2.3 million worth of marijuana mixed in with a shipment of jalapeño peppers at a Southern California port. A Customs and Border Protection K-9 unit alerted officers to a shipment of peppers Thursday at the Otay Mesa cargo facility in San Diego. A CBP news release says officers discovered more than 7,500 pounds of marijuana in the peppers’ pallets. Acting CBP Commissioner Mark Morgan congratulated the officers on Twitter and noted it was the second large seizure of marijuana there within days. Authorities seized more than 10,600 lbs of marijuana in a shipment of plastic auto parts at the port Tuesday.
  • The New York Police Department on Monday announced the dismissal of Officer Daniel Pantaleo for his role in the 2014 death of Eric Garner. >> Read more trending news  New York Police Commissioner James O'Neil announced the decision Monday morning at a news conference. 'I served for nearly 34 years as a NYC cop before becoming a police commissioner,' O'Neil said. 'I can tell you that had I been in Officer Pantaleo's position, I might have made some of the same mistakes.'Police suspended Office Daniel Pantaleo late last month after a judge recommended he be fired for his role in Garner's death. The judge determined Pantaleo used a banned chokehold to subdue Garner, 43, who had been suspected of selling loose cigarettes in Staten Island, NPR reported. The judge did not find Pantaleo guilty of intentionally restricting Garner's breathing, according to NPR.Police unions have previously accused officials of using Pantaleo as a scapegoat while Garner's family members have questioned'This has been a long battle; five years too long,' said Garner's daughter, Emerald Snipes Garner, according to the Times. 'And finally, somebody has said that there's some information that this cop has done something wrong.'The president of New York City's largest police union, the Police Benevolent Association, called the decision to recommend Pantaleo's firing one of 'pure political insanity.'If it is allowed to stand, it will paralyze the NYPD for years to come,' PBA President Patrick J. Lynch said. 'The only hope for justice now lies with Police Commissioner (James) O'Neill. He knows the message that this decision sends to every cop: we are expendable, and we cannot expect any support from the city we protect.'The recommendation came two weeks after U.S. Attorney General William Barr last month declined to pursue a federal indictment against Pantaleo on civil rights charges, The New York Times reported.Videos of the July 17, 2014, encounter taken by bystanders showed Garner, who was unarmed and black, telling officers, 'I can't breathe' nearly a dozen times before he became unconscious. The medical examiner's office determined a chokehold contributed to Garner's death, the Associated Press reported.Videos of the incident spurred protests nationwide, turning 'I can't breathe' into a rallying cry against police brutality and violence. Pantaleo was stripped of his gun and put on desk duty after the incident but continued to draw a hefty salary since Garner’s death, with his pay peaking at more than $120,000 in 2017, according to city payroll records.A grand jury in Staten Island declined to indict Pantaleo on state charges in December 2014. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Washington Insider

  • Echoing the campaign trail warnings of President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence told the Detroit Economic Club on Monday that if Democrats succeed in winning the White House in 2020, it would mean an economic catastrophe for many Americans. 'I honestly believe if any one of the Democrats on that debate stage wins the Presidency, the gains of the last two and a half years would be wiped out,' the Vice President said in a speech. 'Taxes would skyrocket. The stock market would tank. Jobs would vanish and we would get this recession that naysayers are talking about,' Pence added. Pence's message - part excitement about the Trump economy, and part gloom and doom about the Democrats - was much like that of President Trump's campaign stop last week in Manchester, New Hampshire, when he said the bottom line is simple: 'You have no choice but to vote for me because your 401(k)s go down the tubes, everything is gonna be down the tubes,' the President said about a Democratic victory in 2020. On Monday morning, Mr. Trump went on Twitter to rail against Democrats - charging they were rooting for a recession to drive him from office - and again jawboning the Chairman of the Federal Reserve - arguing once more for interest rate cuts to spur economic growth. In his Detroit speech, the Vice President gave no hints of any second-guessing about the current trade fight between the U.S. and China. which has spurred some volatility on Wall Street. 'At the President's direction, we've put tariffs on $250 billion in Chinese goods,' Pence said, making clear the Trump Administration is not going to back down - specifically tying the trade talks to the current unrest in Hong Kong. 'As the President said yesterday, it will be much harder for us to make a deal if something violent happens in Hong Kong,' Pence added.
  • As President Donald Trump returned to the White House following a summer break at his golf retreat in New Jersey, the President teed off on Fox News, expressing aggravation again with Fox News polls that showed him trailing some of the top Democrats running for President. 'My worst polls have always been from Fox,' the President told reporters on Sunday. 'There's something going on at Fox, I'll tell you right now.' 'Fox is a lot different than it used to be,' Mr. Trump added, taking aim at their news division, but not the stable of conservative talk show hosts who have stood by him over the last three years. Asked about the most recent poll from Fox News - which showed him trailing the top tier of 2020 candidates for President - Mr. Trump was succinct. 'I don't believe it,' he said. 'Despite all of the Fake News, my Poll Numbers are great,' the President tweeted on Monday morning, as he blasted one of his former aides, Anthony Scaramucci, who had just been on CNN talking about finding someone to challenge Mr. Trump.  The President hasn't always been sour on polls from Fox News - as when the Fox polls have good numbers, then they are fine, and absolutely correct. 'Fox Poll say best Economy in DECADES!' the President tweeted in July. 'New Fox Poll: 58% of people say that the FBI broke the law in investigating Donald J. Trump,' Mr. Trump tweeted back in May. But sometimes the numbers just aren't good enough. 'President Trump’s Approval Rating on Economy is at 52%, a 4 point jump,' Mr. Trump tweeted about a Fox Poll in July. 'Shouldn’t this be at 100%?' he added. The latest Fox News poll also had some challenging findings for the President and Republicans on the issue of guns. 'In the wake of two mass shootings, overwhelming and bipartisan majorities of voters favor background checks on gun buyers and taking guns from people who are a danger to themselves or others, according to the latest Fox News Poll,' the network wrote in describing the poll's findings. On Sunday, the President appeared to threaten Fox News over their poll findings, and the network's place in any 2020 Presidential debates. 'I think Fox is making a big mistake. Because, you know, I'm the one that calls the shots on that -- on the really big debates,' Mr. Trump said.
  • A senior White House official on Sunday confirmed that President Donald Trump has raised the issue of the United States possibly trying to buy the island of Greenland from Denmark, even though Danish officials say the North Atlantic outpost is not for sale. 'Greenland is a strategic place,' top economic adviser Larry Kudlow said at the end of an interview with Fox News Sunday, acknowledging that the President is interested. 'The President - who knows a thing or two about buying real estate - wants to take a look,' Kudlow added. The comments came even as officials in Denmark and Greenland said the island was not for sale. Kudlow noted that President Harry Truman had raised the same possibility when he was in office, but the idea went nowhere. 'We're open for business, not for sale,' said Greenland's official representative to the U.S. in a tweet. Reaction from Congress to the news reports about the idea of buying Greenland was muted. GOP Rep. Tim Burchett of Tennessee said on Twitter that he wouldn't support such an idea during a time of budget deficits. “I think it's Trump's Folly,” said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA). The New York Daily News may have had the most fun with the story, printing a headline on Saturday which echoed one of the tabloid's most famous headlines ever.
  • In the aftermath of the mass shootings this month in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee will meet in early September to act on a series of gun control measures, including ten round limits on ammunition magazines, red flag laws, and adding new reasons for blocking someone from buying a firearm. 'For far too long, politicians in Washington have only offered thoughts and prayers in the wake of gun violence tragedies,' said Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-NY), the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. 'Democrats in the House will continue to make good on our promise to work to keep our communities safe,' Nadler added, trying to put more pressure on Senate Republicans to act on gun bills approved by the House. 'House Democrats are serious about protecting our communities from the epidemic of gun violence,' said Rep. Dina Titus (D-NV). 'All of these gun violence prevention bills would save lives, and it’s really important that the House is taking action,' said Rep. Don Beyer (D-VA). 'We must act now to end the epidemic of gun violence in our country and keep our kids safe,' said freshman Rep. Joe Negeuse (D-CO). Democrats also tried to turn up the heat on GOP leaders in the Senate, where a bill to expand background checks to all private gun sales has been languishing for months. 'The Majority Leader should call the Senate back to Washington to debate and vote on gun violence legislation,' said Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA). Some Democrats also want to force a vote on banning certain assault weapons - Congress approved such a measure back in 1994, but the expired after ten years. While the Congress isn't back for votes until the week of September 9, the announcement by the House Judiciary Committee will bring lawmakers back just after Labor Day for committee work - with the goal of votes on the various gun bills in the House later that month. 'Our community is relying on us to pass gun safety legislation, which is why we need a federal red flag policy to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people,' said Rep. Lucy McBath (D-GA). Some Republicans quickly made clear their opposition to some of the gun plans from Democrats. 'The problem with Red Flag laws is you’re guilty until proven innocent,' said Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH). President Donald Trump has held talks with some Democrats on the issue of expanding background checks, but his language at a campaign rally on Thursday night in Manchester, New Hampshire did not signal any compromise on guns, as he focused more on the issue of mental health. “It's not the gun that pulls the trigger. It's the person holding the gun,” the President said. The bills on the schedule in September before the House Judiciary Committee include: + H.R. 1186, the Keep Americans Safe Act. This bill would ban high capacity ammunition magazines. + H.R. 1236, the Extreme Risk Protector Order Act, designed to help states formulate 'Red Flag' laws. + H.R. 3076, the Federal Extreme Risk Protection Order Act, which would allow people to go into federal court to take a firearm away from a mentally unstable person. H.R. 2708, the Disarm Hate Act, which would add misdemeanor hate crimes to the list of items disqualifying someone from buying a weapon, under the current background check system. H.R. 1112, the Enhanced Background Checks Act, which stems from the mass shooting at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina. In that case, the shooter was able to buy his firearms - even though he would have failed the background check - because the feds did not conduct a check within three business days. = Click here to read more stories from Jamie Dupree.
  • A day after the Israeli government refused to allow two Democrats in Congress to visit that nation this weekend, Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) rejected a separate offer to visit her 90 year old grandmother on the West Bank, because Israeli officials would not allow her to speak out against the policies of the Netanyahu government during that trip. 'I have decided that visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions stands against everything I believe in - fighting against racism, oppression & injustice,' Tlaib wrote Friday morning on Twitter. 'Silencing me & treating me like a criminal is not what she wants for me. It would kill a piece of me,' Tlaib said. The decision by the Michigan Democrat came a day after Tlaib and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) had been blocked by Israel from an official visit - but then, the Israeli government allowed Tlaib to visit, only if she did not voice her support for efforts to boycott Israel. In the end, Tlaib backed out. In order to visit the West Bank, Tlaib had to promise not to engage in criticism of the Israeli government. 'I will respect any restrictions and will not promote boycotts against Israel during my vist,' Tlaib wrote in a letter to the Israeli Interior Minister on Thursday. But in the end, Tlaib could not stomach those restrictions, even as she said, 'This could be my last opportunity' to see her aging grandmother. - Click here to read more stories from Jamie Dupree.