TULSA - In 2012, shortly after the deadly attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, Senator Jim Inhofe said he believed an attempted cover-up by the Obama administration would become the biggest scandal in American history.
Nothing in the two years since that terrible day has changed his mind, he told KRMG Thursday.
And indeed, another Congressional committee is about to open an investigation into the events at Benghazi - the sixth, so far.
He said he's spoken with four key administration figures who were in a position to know, and all four of them said the proof that the attack on the consulate was a planned, terrorist operation was "unequivocal."
Specifically, he named former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, CIA Director John Brennan, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey, and National Intelligence Director James Clapper.
"All four of them used the word 'unequivocal,'" Inhofe said. "It was unequivocal, on that day we knew that it was an organized, terrorist attack."
Yet the administration sent Susan Rice out to tell Sunday morning news audiences that the attack was carried out by a mob angry over some anti-Muslim video on YouTube.
"The president," Inhofe says, "had all of that knowledge and deliberately lied to the American people for one reason: It was right before his re-election, he wanted the American people to think there was not organized activity in the Middle East. So I'm glad that they're finally having the hearings."