TULSA, Okla. — Officials with Linde Oktoberfest Tulsa announced the event is canceled in 2020 for the first time in its history.
The festival's board of trustees announced on Friday, they'd decided the event should be canceled due to the ongoing threat of COVID-19.
“Countless committed volunteers come together each year to produce one of the nation’s top Oktoberfest festivals, right here in Tulsa,” said Ashley Webb, chairman of the board of trustees. “Our paramount concern has always been the safety and well-being of our festival-goers, entertainers, vendors, volunteers and sponsors. Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to overcome the current realities of this pandemic.”
The event had been scheduled to begin Oct. 21.
“It’s an extremely difficult time for large events across the country,” said Tonja Carrigg, festival director. “We will continue working closely with volunteers, sponsors, stakeholders and the River Parks Authority throughout the coming year as we look forward to Linde Oktoberfest Tulsa in 2021.” Webb adds, “Oktoberfest has, for over 41 years, been the centerpiece of Tulsa’s fall festival schedule, and I want to sincerely thank the citizens of Tulsa and River Parks Authority for their continued support. We will miss everyone this fall, but on behalf of the board of trustees, our staff, sponsors, volunteers and participants, we can’t wait to Prost and Polka with you October 21 – 24, 2021, with Gemütlichkeit on October 20!”
Organizers expect to be back for the festival in 2021.