The NBA announced the starters for this year’s All-Star game Thursday night which featured a familiar face for Oklahoma basketball fans.
Former Sooner and current star point guard for the Atlanta Hawks Trae Young was named a starter for this year’s game in Chicago.
Making his 1st #NBAAllStar appearance... Trae Young of the @ATLHawks!— 2020 NBA All-Star (@NBAAllStar) January 24, 2020
Drafted as the 5th pick in 2018 out of Oklahoma, @TheTraeYoung is averaging 29.2 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 8.6 APG for the Hawks this season. pic.twitter.com/MX58b4CVyy
The first-time All-Star reacted with emotion to the news as it was announced on TNT’s NBA studio show in a video shared on Twitter.
MAMA IMMA ALL STAR😭🙏🏽❤️❄️ https://t.co/DnPP3UdhQ0— Trae Young (@TheTraeYoung) January 24, 2020
Young is averaging 29.2 points and 8.6 assists in his second year with the Hawks. He was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft by the Dallas Mavericks and traded on draft night to Atlanta for Luka Doncic.
A Norman native, Young averaged 27 points and nearly 9 assists in his only season at Oklahoma before going pro.
He will start alongside fellow first-time All-Star Pascal Siakam among returning stars including team captain Giannis Antetokounmpo.
The East All-Stars will face off against the West led by team captain LeBron James and featuring Anthony Davis and James Harden.
- Oklahoma governor orders ban on state travel to California
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
- Struggling church asks aging congregation to ‘stay away’ in hopes of attracting young families
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Beer company adds shelter dogs to labels in hopes of getting them adopted
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters