TULSA - A large fire broke out at a midtown Tulsa apartment complex Friday, damaging or destroying more than a dozen units.
It happened at the Cobblestone Apartments, west of 51st Street and Memorial Road, about 9:30 a.m.
No one was hurt in the fire, as management acted quickly to notify residents they needed to evacuate.
Fire investigators say early on, it appears a smouldering cigarette or cigar left on a balcony was the source of ignition.
KRMG spoke with a resident at the scene who was visibly upset because her pet was missing.
“The manager, Andy, knocked on the door and said to get out because the building was on fire,” Elizabeth told KRMG, “and I couldn’t find my cat.”
“I just want my baby!” she sobbed, as a friend tried to offer encouragement.
Firefighters did pull other pets from the building safely.
TFD spokesman Andy Little said the department’s response included five engines and four ladder trucks.
“It’s under control right now,” he said about 10:00 a.m., “but we still have a lot of work to do.”
He said when firefighters arrived, “fire was coming out of the balcony and up onto the roof. Within minutes, it was through the roof so it was going pretty good when we got here.”
The Red Cross responded to the scene to help residents.