ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
35°
Sunny
H 47° L 30°
  • clear-night
    35°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 47° L 30°
  • clear-day
    52°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 47° L 30°
  • clear-night
    43°
    Evening
    Clear. H 57° L 31°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
Kevin Hart quits as Oscars host over his anti-gay tweets
Close

Kevin Hart quits as Oscars host over his anti-gay tweets

Kevin Hart quits as Oscars host over his anti-gay tweets
Photo Credit: Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File
FILE - In this Dec. 11, 2017 file photo, Kevin Hart arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" in Los Angeles. Hart will host the 2019 Academy Awards, fulfilling a lifelong dream for the actor-comedian. Hart announced Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018, his selection in an Instagram statement and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences followed up with a tweet that welcomed him "to the family." (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)

Kevin Hart quits as Oscars host over his anti-gay tweets

Just two days after being named host of the Academy Awards, Kevin Hart stepped down following an outcry over past homophobic tweets by the comedian.

Capping a swift and dramatic fallout, Hart wrote on Twitter just after midnight Thursday that he was withdrawing as Oscars host because he didn't want to be a distraction. "I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past," wrote Hart.

Hart, who is in Australia for a comedy tour, also tweeted Friday morning: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King, Jr."

Earlier Thursday evening, the comedian had refused to apologize for tweets that resurfaced after he was announced as Oscars host on Tuesday. In a video on Instagram, Hart said the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences gave him an ultimatum: apologize or "we're going to have to move on and find another host."

"I chose to pass on the apology," Hart said. "The reason why I passed is because I've addressed this several times."

The film academy didn't respond to messages Thursday evening.

Hart has since deleted some of the anti-gay tweets, mostly dated from 2009-2011. But they had already been screen-captured and been shared online. In 2011, he wrote in a since-deleted tweet: "Yo if my son comes home & try's 2 play with my daughters doll house I'm going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice 'stop that's gay.'"

In an earlier post Thursday, Hart wrote on Instagram that critics should "stop being negative" about his earlier anti-gay remarks.

"I'm almost 40 years old. If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve? I don't know what to tell you," said Hart, who added, in all-caps: "I love everybody."

Hart's attitudes about homosexuality were also a well-known part of his stand-up act. In the 2010 special "Seriously Funny," he said "one of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay."

"Keep in mind, I'm not homophobic, I have nothing against gay people, do what you want to do, but me, being a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will," Hart said.

GLAAD, the advocacy group for LGBTQ rights, said Thursday that it reached out to Oscars broadcaster ABC, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, and Hart's management to "discuss Kevin's anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and record."

Comedian and actor Billy Eichner said "a simple, authentic apology showing any bit of understanding or remorse would have been so simple."

It's not the first time an Oscars host has been derailed by anti-gay remarks. Ahead of the 2012 Academy Awards, producer Brett Ratner, who had been paired with host Eddie Murphy, resigned days after using a gay slur at a film screening. Murphy soon after exited, as well.

That year, a tried-and-true Oscars veteran — Billy Crystal — jumped in to save the show, hosting for his eighth time. This time, speculation has already been rampant that few in Hollywood want the gig, for which few win glowing reviews.

The film academy moved up this year's ceremony to Feb. 24, giving producers little time to find a replacement.

At a Hollywood event Thursday night, comedian Kathy Griffin, whose career suffered last year when she posted a photo on social media that looked like a beheaded President Donald Trump, said Hart messed up, yet had empathy for the situation.

"He wrote that tweet eight years ago when gay marriage wasn't even legal yet, so we all do things. God knows in my 23 specials I've said heinously inappropriate things," she said.

Griffin hoped Hart's departure would open the door for a woman comedian to host the show.

"I want more women to host the Oscars and in the entire history of the Oscars, they've only been hosted by three women, three times and so we haven't leveled the playing field yet," she said.

Terry Crews, who described Hart as a "brother," said he respected Hart's decision to walk away from the show.

"I'm thankful that he acknowledged things that maybe weren't right, and he'll come back from this," Crews said. "We do have to admit our guilt and say, 'Hey I messed up and let's fix this thing.' I think that he will do that, and he has always done that."

___

Associated Press writer Marcela Isaza contributed to this report.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS
  • Police were called to the Broken Arrow High School on Thursday after a threatening message was found on a bathroom mirror. Officers say the message referenced a shooting set to happen on Friday. Police interviewed a student, 18-year-old Hipolito Hernandez. Hernandez was then arrested on a complaint of Threatening a Violent Act.  Officers decided that the threat was not credible, but the timing was alarming. “The threat was made one day prior to the anniversary date of the Sandy Hook school shooting,” said BAPD Major Scott Bennett. “We will do everything in our power to prevent chances of a similar event happening here in Broken Arrow. This includes strictly enforcing existing threats laws.”  
  • Journalists were kept away from a secret federal appeals court hearing on Friday in Washington, D.C., as officials sealed off an entire floor for arguments in a mysterious grand jury case which some believe could be related to the Special Counsel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 elections. The case – known officially as “In re: Grand Jury Subpoena” – has been sealed in its entirety when it comes to public records, as it moved from the district court to the appeals court level in recent months. Reporters at the courthouse – which is just down the hill from the U.S. Capitol – at first tried to gather outside the courtroom where the secret arguments were going to take place, but then security officials sealed off the entire fifth floor of the building, making it nearly impossible to find out who was involved in the matter. “We have spread out across the building,” tweeted Darren Samuelsohn, a reporter for Politico. “No sightings yet to report of note.” Reporters kicked off the 5th floor entirely for a sealed appeals hearing that may involve #Mueller on s grand jury dispute. They are even searching stairwells for reporters. We have split up and trying to cover all entrances and exits…. — Sarah N. Lynch (@SarahNLynch) December 14, 2018 Arguments in the sealed Mueller case are ongoing. Everyone was booted out of the Court of Appeals and the entire floor was cleared. — Charlie Gile (@CharlieGileNBC) December 14, 2018 The possible tie to the Mueller investigation was reported by Politico earlier this year, when one of their reporters observed someone asking for a secret court filing to take to a law firm involved in the matter. There are two different sealed case involving an unknown grand jury which have attracted attention at the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals – as the relatively speedy nature of the cases – and then today’s sealing off of an entire floor – has prompted intense interest. “To this day, I can’t fathom what the heck it could be that would move this fast and get this much secrecy,” said national security lawyer Bradley Moss. Several media folks have asked me and colleagues for weeks what we can imagine this case being, assuming Trump's people are telling the truth and it's not them. To this day, I can't fathom what the heck it could be that would move this fast and get this much secrecy. https://t.co/EH6X08KDq8 — Bradley P. Moss (@BradMossEsq) December 14, 2018 Here’s the docket on the case – as you can see, it offers little in the way of information. But with officials sealing off the entire courthouse floor to deal with it – the case certainly raises questions about what’s going on.
  • This is horsepower in its rawest form. >> Read more trending news  A Facebook video of two Belgian draft horses pulling a tractor-trailer up an icy driveway in southeastern Minnesota went viral this week, the Star Tribune reported. The truck driver took video of the 13-year-old horses -- Molly and Prince -- after his truck got stuck in the snow, the newspaper reported. Lizzie Hershberger, who owns the horses, told KARE that the animals were not harmed when they pulled the truck. Her husband, Jacob Hershberger, admitted the horses had never attempted such a weighty task, but he said they handled it well, the television station reported. “It’s quite amazing how a video can go viral from little Minnesota,” Lizzie Hershberger told the Star Tribune. The couple, formerly Amish, bought the horses six months ago, Lizzie Hershberger told the newspaper. The horses are trained and Jacob Hershberger uses them weekly, KARE reported. “(Jacob is) semi-retired from the trucking, so he bought himself these Belgians and he just loves them. He uses them multiple times a week,” Hershberger told the Star Tribune. The Hershbergers were not surprised when a truck driver spun out as he attempted to return an empty trailer, which is usually used to haul livestock, KARE reported. A second truck was waiting at the bottom of the driveway, so Jacob Hershberger hitched up the horses. “It’s a neat story,” Lizzie Hershberger told the Star Tribune. “We just like the idea that horses still get used and I think that people just aren’t really aware of that.”
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken is trying out a new tradition, just in time for the holidays. The chain is offering a new way to enjoy the aroma of the Colonel's secret recipe in your own home: A KFC yule log.  It's called the KFC 11 Herbs & Spices Firelog and it smells like chicken. KFC partnered with Enviro-Log to create the new product, which lasts up to three hours and is made of 100 percent recycled materials.  KFC officials said, 'the smell of the Colonel's original recipe is unmistakable' and 'it may result in a craving for fried chicken.'  >> Trending: Del Monte recalling more than 64,000 cases of Fiesta Corn in 25 states It's only available for a limited time at   www.KFCfirelogs.com. It costs $18.99, but there’s a limit, only one per customer.  
  • Facing outrage from voters that taxpayer money was being used to pay for sexual harassment settlements against members of Congress involving employees on Capitol Hill, the House and Senate on Thursday approved a package of reforms designed to force members of Congress to pay for any such judgments with their own money in the future. Rep. Gregg Harper (R-MS), the head of the House Administration Committee, noted that the bill will rightly hold “members of the House and Senate personally liable for unlawful harassment and retaliation.” “Time is finally up for members of Congress who think they can sexually harass and get away with it,” said Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA), who last year told of being harassed on Capitol Hill when she was a young Congressional staffer. “They will no longer be able to slink away with no one knowing that they have harassed,” Speier told reporters. House Democrat Jackie Speier said men and women who sexually harass others will have to pay back the U.S. Treasury for any settlements made. It will be done through a lump sum, garnishing savings or wages, or even digging into their social security if necessary pic.twitter.com/q7RLQpgcKh — POLITICO (@politico) December 13, 2018 Click here for the details of the 80 page bill. The bill gives lawmakers 180 days to pay any harassment award; if that has not happened, then Congressional officials are authorized to garnish the pay of lawmakers, or take money from the member’s retirement savings account. If the accused member leaves the Congress, the law would give Congressional officials the power to garnish the wages of that former lawmaker in their new job, as well as taking money from an annuity or even out of that member’s Social Security benefits. Negotiations had been in limbo for several months as Senators resisted some of the changes approved by the House – Speaker-designate Nancy Pelosi has said the House will move to strengthen its own rules dealing with other workplace discrimination issues, even if the Senate will not. JUST IN: The bipartisan sexual harassment bill I'm leading with @RoyBlunt has passed the Senate & House and will soon be signed into law! This will fundamentally change the way sexual harassment cases are handled in Congress and protect victims instead of protecting politicians. — Amy Klobuchar (@amyklobuchar) December 13, 2018 Another change in the bill removes the requirement that staffers who say they’ve been sexually harassed, will not have to deal with a 30-day ‘cooling off period,’ in which they are not allowed to bring a lawsuit, after they make a harassment complaint. It’s the first major change in sexual harassment policies in the Congress since the “#MeToo” movement began. The bills were passed quickly in both the House and Senate; no votes were taken, as the plans were approved by unanimous consent.