H 52° L 32°
  • clear-day
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 52° L 32°
  • clear-night
    Clear. H 52° L 32°
  • clear-night
    Clear. H 61° L 35°

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00


Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00


Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Irving returns to carry Celtics past Timberwolves 117-109

The presence of Kyrie Irving this season has made the Boston Celtics more of a dynamic team with the ball.

They've become quite the force on the other end of the court, too, as the Minnesota Timberwolves again found out.

Irving returned from a one-game absence to help Boston fend off Minnesota, finishing with 23 points, seven rebounds and eight assists in a 117-109 victory over the Timberwolves on Thursday night that clinched a spot in the playoffs for the Celtics.

"That's one of the goals," Irving said. "Just glad we got it out of the way pretty early."

Al Horford added 20 points, eight rebounds, six assists and tough defense on Karl-Anthony Towns for the Celtics, who stayed two games behind Toronto in the Eastern Conference race with their sixth win in seven games. They have three more losses than the Raptors.

Marcus Morris added 17 points for the Celtics, whose good vibes were tempered a bit by the hard landing Jaylen Brown took on his back after a dunk late in the third quarter. He was able to walk off on his own with 14 points, evaluated for concussion-like symptoms and taken to a hospital for precautionary testing.

"I was terrified. I mean, I know what that fall is like," said backup Marcus Smart. "I've done it in high school, the same way. For him to get up, that's a strong kid."

Strength was the name of this game for the Celtics, who overcame a career-high 30 points by Nemanja Bjelica on 11-for-16 shooting, including 6 for 9 from 3-point range. Bjelica's first 20-10 game in the NBA was ultimately wasted in the season-high third straight loss for the Timberwolves, who are still trying to find their way without injured All-Star Jimmy Butler. They trailed by as many as 18 points soon after halftime, too much to overcome some second-half surges behind Bjelica and 18 points from Taj Gibson on 8-for-10 shooting.

"We have to understand how hard and physical you have to play," Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau said. "I think that's the difference right now between us being a really good team and being a good team."

The Wolves were within five at 88-83 in the fourth quarter, but every other time they were on the verge of cutting the margin to two possessions Irving and the Celtics had an answer on the other end.

Towns finished with 15 points and 11 rebounds, and Jamal Crawford pitched in 15 points. But Andrew Wiggins went 1 for 8 from 3-point range and 6 for 21 from the floor for a too-quiet 13 points. He had four turnovers.

"They were the aggressor," Wiggins said. "They were the harder-playing team."


The Celtics posted a 35-point first period for the second straight game, as they did to fuel their 105-89 win over Chicago on Monday. Morris helped them pull away with four jumpers in the final 3½ minutes of the frame, one from behind the arc.

The Timberwolves had 11 first-half turnovers the Celtics turned into 18 points. Towns didn't score for the Timberwolves for the first 15:22, until a 17-footer from the corner fell through the net, but Morris quickly answered with another 3-pointer. Smart put together a three-point play soon after and, less than a minute later, converted a one-handed dunk in one violent motion off a rebound to give the Celtics a 51-37 advantage that triggered a timeout by an angry Thibodeau.

"He gets to his launch pad, he can get up there with the best of them," Irving said.

Morris and Smart helped the Boston bench outscore Minnesota's 42-20.


Butler's absence has come at a most difficult time, with the Wolves in the throes of an unrelenting stretch of games. They lost at Portland and Utah on back-to-back nights last week, and they've got, gulp, Golden State coming to Target Center on Sunday. The following weekend, the night after a trip to San Antonio, they host Houston. The last game against the Rockets on Feb. 23 was when Butler hurt the meniscus in his right knee.

"We've just got to play harder and just trust each other," said Jeff Teague, who had 13 points and eight assists. "I don't think we trusted each other tonight."


Derrick Rose signed with the Timberwolves earlier in the day , giving Thibodeau another experienced former player in the fold in the form of the 2011 NBA MVP on the roster. He was on the active list, but did not play.


Celtics: Morris hit double-digits in points for the seventh time in the last 10 games. ... Irving has scored 20 or more points in 45 of 59 games.

Timberwolves: Wiggins had his streak of five straight 20-point games end. ... Crawford went 1 for 6 from 3-point range and is 1 for 14 over the last three games.


Celtics: Host Indiana on Sunday night. They lost 97-91 to the Pacers at home last month.

Timberwolves: Host the Warriors on Sunday, the only visit to Minnesota by the defending champions on the schedule for this season.


For more AP NBA coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/NBAbasketball

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • A federal judge barred the Trump administration on Monday from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally. U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order after hearing arguments in San Francisco. The request was made by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights, which quickly sued after President Donald Trump issued the ban this month in response to the caravans of migrants that have started to arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border. Trump issued a proclamation on Nov. 9 that said anyone who crossed the southern border would be ineligible for asylum. The regulations, which will remain in place for three months absent a court order, could potentially make it harder for thousands of people who enter the U.S. to avoid deportation. 'Individuals are entitled to asylum if they cross between ports of entry,' said Baher Azmy, a lawyer for the Center for Constitutional Rights. 'It couldn't be clearer.' In recent years, tens of thousands of immigrants each year have shown up in the Arizona desert or on the north bank of the Rio Grande in Texas, surrendered to immigration agents and requested asylum. The Department of Homeland Security estimates around 70,000 people a year claim asylum between official ports of entry. Trump has argued that the recent caravans are a threat to national security. Around 3,000 people from the first of the caravans have arrived in Tijuana, Mexico, across the border from San Diego, California. U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Monday that it closed off northbound traffic for several hours at the San Ysidro crossing. It has also installed movable, wire-topped barriers, apparently to stop a potential mass rush of people. As of Monday, 107 people detained between official crossings have sought asylum since Trump's order went into effect, according to DHS, which oversees Customs and Border Protection. Officials didn't say whether those people's cases were still progressing through other avenues left to them after the proclamation. DHS has said it wants asylum seekers at the southern border to appear at an official border crossing. But many border crossings such as San Ysidro already have long wait times. People are often forced to wait in shelters or outdoor camps on the Mexican side, sometimes for weeks. ACLU lawyer Lee Gelernt said that some people seeking asylum cross between official ports because 'they're in real danger,' either in their countries of origin or in Mexico. 'We don't condone people entering between ports of entry, but Congress has made the decision that if they do, they still need to be allowed to apply for asylum,' he said. ___ Associated Press journalists Jill Colvin and Colleen Long in Washington contributed to this report.
  • A Chicago police officer and two hospital employees, including an emergency room doctor, were killed Monday afternoon when a gunman opened fire at Mercy Hospital & Medical Center on the city’s South Side, authorities said. >> Read more trending news  The gunman was found dead after officers responded to the scene just before 3:30 p.m. CST. It wasn’t immediately clear whether he killed himself or was fatally shot by police. The victims were identified as Officer Samuel Jimenez, Dr. Tamara E. O’Neal and Dayna Less, who worked as a pharmaceutical assistant at the hospital, officials said Monday night. >> PHOTOS: Chicago Mercy Hospital shooting leaves 4 dead, including officer, gunman “This tears at the soul of our city,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who was visibly shaken, said at a press conference. “It’s the face and consequence of evil.” The shooting started in a parking lot outside the hospital after a “domestic dispute” between the gunman and O’Neal, who had broken off an engagement with the suspect in September, according to Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Jackson. After shooting O’Neal, the gunman continued his rampage, running into the hospital and randomly shooting others in his path, Jackson said. Update 10:05 p.m. EST Nov. 19: The Chicago police officer killed in the line of duty Monday during a hospital shooting rampage had been with the force less than two years, authorities said. Officer Samuel Jimenez, 28, was a married father of three, who did not have to respond to the deadly shooting at Mercy Hospital, according to Police Superintendent Eddie Jackson, because it was out of his district, but he did and it cost him his life. “He was the real police. He wasn’t in it just for the paycheck,” an officer who worked with him told the Chicago Sun-Times. Update 9:10 p.m. EST Nov. 19: Chicago police have identified the officer who was shot and killed at Mercy Hospital Monday afternoon while responding to an active gunman. “It's with profound sadness that we share the death of PO Samuel Jimenez from tonight's senseless active shooter incident,” police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a social media post. Police also confirmed during a press conference Monday night that a doctor at Mercy Hospital and another employee were fatally shot. Update 8:45 p.m. EST Nov. 19: The Chicago police officer critically injured in a shooting at Mercy Hospital Monday afternoon has died, according to The Associated Press. The officer was shot while responding to an active gunman at the hospital. Update 8:05 p.m. EST Nov. 19: A doctor reporting to work Monday at Chicago’s Mercy Hospital was reportedly the first person shot in the parking lot before the gunman made his way inside. She has been identified by WLS-TV as Dr. Tamara E. O’Neal, a doctor of emergency medicine at Mercy, who was shot by her former fiance before he continued shooting inside the hospital. Update 7:55 p.m. EST Nov. 19: While one police officer was critically injured in a shooting Monday afternoon at Mercy Hospital, another is crediting his gun and holster for saving his life. The CPD officer showed TV station WLS his holster where a bullet smashed through the container, but did not penetrate, and his gun with a bullet embedded in it. Update 7:30 p.m. EST Nov. 19: Witness are recounting horrifying descriptions of the shooting Monday afternoon at Mercy Hospital in Chicago. James Gray told the Chicago Tribune that he was coming out of a clinic area at the hospital when he saw the gunman, who was dressed in a black hat and coat, walking and talking with a woman outside the hospital before shooting her three times in the chest. Gray then said the man stood over the woman and shot her three more times after she was on the ground. He told the Tribune that a police car came upon the scene and the gunman started shooting at officers. “It was chaos,” said Gray. “It was just mass chaos.” The gunman went inside the hospital and Gray said it looked like he was just randomly shooting at people. “And then I ran into the X-ray department and locked the door behind us,” he told the newspaper. “I thought it was unbelievable,” said Gray. “It’s like a movie scene. Nothing like that ever happened to me before.” Update 7:00 p.m. EST Nov. 19: Witnesses to the shooting at Mercy Hospital in Chicago describe a terrifying incident as a well-armed gunman opened fire, striking several people outside the hospital, including a police officer, before making his way inside the facility. “It scared everybody,” Steve White, a patient at the hospital, told WBBM-TV. White, who was being treated for dehydration, described a chaotic scene as people inside the hospital heard shots coming from the parking lot, before the gunman entered the facility through the main entrance, WBBM reported. “I have never seen nothing like this in my life,” White said. “This is crazy” Two of the victims were women, according to WLS-TV. One was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in extremely critical condition. The other was taken to the University of Chicago Hospital, also in extremely critical condition, the TV station reported. One of the women was a doctor at Mercy Hospital reporting to work when she was shot in the parking lot by her former fiancé. Update 6:30 p.m. EST Nov. 19: One of the shooting victims was a doctor reporting for her shift at work, according to WLS-TV, and was shot by her former fiance. Update 6:07 p.m. EST Nov. 19: The suspected gunman in the shooting at Chicago’s Mercy Hospital was killed and four people were critically injured, according to the Associated Press, after the unidentified shooter opened fire Monday afternoon. Witness James Gray told Chicago television station WLS-TV that he saw multiple people shot. 'It looked like he was turning and shooting people at random,” Gray said. Update 6:05 p.m. EST Nov. 19: Witnesses described a terrifying ordeal after at least one gunman opened fire at  Chicago’s Mercy Hospital. Hospital employee Erix Horton told the Chicago Tribune that he was outside smoking a cigarette when he heard the shooting unfold. “I was checking out, getting ready to leave,” Horton said. “One of the nurses ran back here and it was like she was about to collapse and said (a staff member had) been shot. And she’s like, ‘Call the police. We have an active shooter.’ And that¹s when everybody took cover. They got on the PA, letting everybody know.' Horton told the Tribune he took cover in a break room with others until police rescued them. He said an emergency crew had just brought in a patient and had to take cover, too. He said he heard someone firing eight to nine shots in the hallway outside the break room. 'We had to duck,” he said. Employees at the hospital were eventually loaded on to buses and taken to safety. Update 5:45 p.m. EST Nov. 19: At least two people were killed in a shooting at Chicago’s Mercy Hospital Monday afternoon, according to WLS-TV.  At least one witness told reporters there was more than one shooter at the hospital and that shots were fired into a lab at the facility. Update: 5:35 p.m. EST Nov. 19: Chicago police confirmed at least one shooter was shot. People at the hospital when the shooting unfolded described hearing multiple shots and hiding inside hospital rooms. Update 5:20 p.m. EST Nov. 19: The Chicago police officer shot during the shooting at Mercy Hospital is in critical condition, according to WLS-TV. It’s still unclear exactly how many other people were injured or killed. Original report: Authorities contained the shooter, according to a number of media outlets, and are now searching the hospital. There’s no report, yet, on how many victims may be involved. Roads around the medical center have been shutdown as the investigation continues. Emergency crews were called to the scene just before 3:30 p.m. Monday on “reports of multiple victims,” according to the Chicago Tribune. Hospital employees were evacuated in buses, WBBM reported. Check back for more on this developing story.
  • Poteau Assistant Police Chief Greg Russell said Monday that 33-year-old Joshua Dean Wade was booked into the LeFlore County jail for first-degree murder. Officers say 54-year-old Buddy Wayne Wade was shot and killed by his nephew. Wade's body was found outside an apartment with an arrow in his chest about 8:25 p.m. Sunday. Investigators believe Joshua Wade rang his uncle's doorbell twice and then hid while he waited for the victim to come outside. A motive isn’t yet known. 
  • Oklahoma City police say a pit-bull walked onto school grounds at Fillmore Elementary during recess Monday afternoon and was able to make its way inside. There were 28 3rd and 4th grade students on the playground with three teachers.  The brown and white dog was tackled in a hallway by a teacher. Officers say five students were taken to the hospital by ambulance. Seven students arrived at the hospital in private vehicles. None of the injuries are critical. Most of the children’s injuries are superficial dog bites.  
  • As the White House on Monday backed off in a legal dispute with CNN over the press credentials of White House correspondent Jim Acosta, the White House announced new rules of behavior for reporters, which could result in the suspension of a reporter’s press pass for asking more than one question of the President or top administration officials. “We have created these rules with a degree of regret,” said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who directly blamed Acosta for the change, after the CNN reporter locked horns with President Trump in a post-election news conference earlier this month, refusing to give up the microphone while trying to get answers from the President about immigration policy. Here are the new rules as set out by the White House, which were contained in an email sent on Monday afternoon through the White House Pool: Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 4:06 PM Subject: In-Town Pool Report #3- Acosta/CNN Letter From Press Secretary Sarah Sanders: This afternoon we have notified Jim Acosta and CNN that his hard pass has been restored.  We have also notified him of certain rules that will govern White House press conferences going forward.  They are listed here:     A journalist called upon to ask a question will ask a single question and then will yield the floor to other journalists;      At the discretion of the President or other White House official taking questions, a follow-up question or questions may be permitted; and where a follow up has been allowed and asked, the questioner will then yield the floor;     “Yielding the floor” includes, when applicable, physically surrendering the microphone to White House staff for use by the next questioner;     Failure to abide by any of rules (1)-(3) may result in suspension or revocation of the journalist’s hard pass. We have created these rules with a degree of regret.  For years, members of the White House press corps have attended countless press events with the President and other officials without engaging in the behavior Mr. Acosta displayed at the November 7, 2018 press conference. We would have greatly preferred to continue hosting White House press conferences in reliance on a set of understood professional norms, and we believe the overwhelming majority of journalists covering the White House share that preference.  But, given the position taken by CNN, we now feel obligated to replace previously shared practices with explicit rules. We are mindful that a more elaborate and comprehensive set of rules might need to be devised, including, for example, for journalist conduct in the open (non-press room) areas inside and outside the White House and for Air Force One.   At this time however, we have decided not to frame such rules in the hope that professional journalistic norms will suffice to regulate conduct in those places.  If unprofessional behavior occurs in those settings, or if a court should decide that explicit rules are required to regulate conduct there, we will be forced to reconsider this decision. The White House’s interaction with the press is, and generally should be, subject to a natural give-and-take.  President Trump believes strongly in the First Amendment, and a free press and is the most accessible President in modern history.  It would be a great loss for all if, instead of relying on the professionalism of White House journalists, we were compelled to devise a lengthy and detailed code of conduct for White House events.