Offensive lineman Jonathan Martin wants to continue his NFL career, but not with the Dolphins, according to a report from ESPN.
Martin, who left the club Oct. 28 and has accused teammates of harassing him, considered his 1 1/2 seasons with the Dolphins unbearable, ESPN reported today, citing a source close to Martin.
In Martin’s view, his chief tormentor apparently was fellow offensive lineman Richie Incognito, who has been suspended. Incognito said on Fox-TV Sunday that he had considered Martin a friend and that the two had exchanged 1,142 text messages.
But the ESPN report said that Martin hated being picked on by teammates and that’s why he befriended them.
Since quitting the team, Martin has spoken only through representatives. The ESPN story said he wants to let time pass before he speaks up. He reportedly is with family in Southern California and receiving medical treatment for an undisclosed reason.
The Dolphins are playing the Buccaneers tonight (8:40, ESPN) in the first game since Incognito was suspended. Martin missed Miami’s Oct. 31 win against Cincinnati.
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross texted Martin last week to offer his support, a league source told ESPN.
Ross told Martin that he is committed to creating a professional environment.