ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
29°
Sunny
H 53° L 30°
  • clear-night
    29°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 53° L 30°
  • clear-day
    48°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 53° L 30°
  • clear-night
    42°
    Evening
    Clear. H 53° L 30°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Sports
Report: Former Microsoft CEO to buy Clippers for record $2 billion
Close

Report: Former Microsoft CEO to buy Clippers for record $2 billion

Report: Former Microsoft CEO to buy Clippers for record $2 billion
Photo Credit: Kevork Djansezian
LAS VEGAS, NV - JANUARY 09: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer delivers a keynote address at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show at The Venetian January 9, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. CES, the world's largest annual consumer technology trade show, runs through January 13 and is expected to feature 2,700 exhibitors showing off their latest products and services to about 140,000 attendees. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Report: Former Microsoft CEO to buy Clippers for record $2 billion

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer will buy the Los Angeles Clippers for a record price of $2 billion, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Ballmer was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years. He was competing with several other groups to buy the team.

The $2 billion sale price is almost four times more than the previous NBA franchise price. The previous record was set earlier this month for the Milwaukee Bucks.

The Times reported that the price is ”second only to the Dodgers 2012 sale for $2.1 billion as the highest price for any sports team in North America.”

More popular and trending stories

On Wednesday, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press that Shelly Sterling was reviewing bids from five groups interested in buying the Los Angeles Clippers.

The individual, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly about the deal, said if an agreement to sell is reached before next Tuesday, the league's owners wouldn't meet in New York to vote on terminating Donald Sterling's ownership.

The individual wouldn't specify the interested buyers, but described them as major players with considerable financial means. The person told the AP the sale price "appears to be increasing to an unbelievable number," and that it could soar past $1.5 to $2 billion, and possibly more.

Another person familiar with the negotiations said Shelly Sterling's attorneys, bankers and others involved in the process were in a locked room reviewing the bids, which were due by 2 p.m. PDT Wednesday. The individual wasn't authorized to publicly discuss the sensitive and competitive negotiations.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • “When God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it,”  when he interrupted the proceedings and implored the jury to return a not guilty verdict in the trial of a Buda woman accused of trafficking a teen girl for sex. The jury ended up finding Gloria Romero-Perez guilty of continuous trafficking of a person and sentenced her to 25 years in prison. They found her not guilty of a separate charge of sale or purchase of a child. Robison, who also presides in Hays and Caldwell counties, is scheduled to return to the bench in Comal County on Jan. 31. His actions could trigger an investigation from the State Commission on Judicial Conduct, which has disciplined Robison in the past — in 2011, he improperly jailed a Caldwell County grandfather who had called him a fool.  As news of Robison’s maybe-divinely-inspired comment made the rounds online, many people were shocked at the news.  Here’s a sampling of what people are saying. What do you think? Was the judge out of line? Let us know in the comments.
  • Already raising questions about possible investigatory bias inside the FBI, Republicans in Congress are now demanding more answers about how five months of text messages between two senior FBI employees on the Hillary Clinton email probe, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, were not archived and properly retained by the bureau. “The loss of records from this period is concerning because it is apparent from other records that Mr. Strzok and Ms. Page communicated frequently about the investigation,” said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) in a letter to the FBI Director. The FBI says the texts weren’t kept because of a misconfiguration of software upgrades on cell phones issued to employees. That explanation fell flat on Capitol Hill. “This is a “my dog ate my homework” level excuse,” said Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC). “Americans deserve to know if there was rampant anti-Trump bias at the FBI, and certainly if there was an effort to cover it up.” How did the FBI lose 5 months of text messages between employees? Read the letter to @FBI Director Wray asking questions about alarming FBI activities here: https://t.co/qHzjpX8p5z pic.twitter.com/3Xb9ZJ54JO — Senator Ron Johnson (@SenRonJohnson) January 22, 2018 The review of how the FBI handled the Clinton email case has gone hand in hand with assertions by Republicans that officials inside the FBI were biased in favor of Clinton, and biased against President Donald Trump, saying that may have bled into the subsequent investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election. In a joint statement, three House GOP lawmakers said the details of newly revealed texts were “extremely troubling,” and showed bias involved in the investigation. “The omission of text messages between December 2016 and May 2017, a critical gap encompassing the FBI’s Russia investigation, is equally concerning, ” said Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), and Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA). The texts between Strzok and Page, would have covered a period during the Trump transition, running up to the time that Robert Mueller’s Special Counsel investigation began. Few specifics were released from the latest batch of FBI texts to detail what exactly the Republicans had found, as GOP lawmakers instead focused on the overall situation – for example, Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-TX) said the texts he saw “revealed manifest bias among top FBI officials.” . @RepRatcliffe on 5-month gap discovered in new FBI texts: 'For former prosecutors like @TGowdySC & myself…it makes it harder & harder for us to explain away one strange coincidence after another.' https://t.co/jTCsiBqaVi pic.twitter.com/yPKVEJoG91 — Fox News (@FoxNews) January 23, 2018 The discovery of the missing texts swiftly brought back memories for Republicans of how thousands of emails went missing of Lois Lerner, a top Internal Revenue Service officials involved in a controversy about bias against more conservative groups seeking non-profit status. Strzok and Page are important figures for two reasons – they were both part of the Clinton email investigation, and then had roles in Mueller’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election. Two were found to be having an affair; Strzok, a senior counterintelligence official, was reassigned from the Mueller probe after the discovery of the text messages between the two.
  • Jury selection began Monday for a Tulsa case that made national headlines. Stanley Vernon Majors is accused in the killing of 37-year-old Khalid Jabara in August 2016. Majors faces first-degree murder and hate crime charges in the fatal shooting. Prosecutors say Majors was in a feud with Jabara's family that lasted several years. Majors previously pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and malicious intimidation and harassment, which is Oklahoma’s hate-crime law. Majors' attorneys have indicated that they will present a mental health-based defense, though Majors was previously found competent to stand trial. The trial could extend into next week.
  • Police tried to pull over a driver for a warrant Monday afternoon in north Tulsa.  The man ran to the back of a home near Pine and Tacoma.  “He started to try to kick in the back door of that residence,” said Officer Jeanne McKenzie with the Tulsa Police Department. “When he did that, he actually shot himself.” Police say he then picked up the shotgun and started to run around the side of the house.  Two officers fired their weapons. The man was pronounced dead at the hospital.
  • A North Carolina man who made headlines when he was caught for break-ins after winning a doughnut-eating contest has been arrested again. And this time he’s accused of stealing from a doughnut shop. The Virginian-Pilot newspaper reports 27-year-old Bradley Hardison of Elizabeth City was charged Thursday with stealing from a Dunkin’ Donuts in November. An Elizabeth City Police Department statement says he’s charged with felonies including breaking and entering and larceny. It wasn’t clear if he helped himself to any doughnuts. A phone listing for Hardison rang disconnected. The Virginian-Pilot reported that in 2014, Hardison won a doughnut-eating contest put on by Elizabeth City police while he was wanted on suspicion of several break-ins. Investigators said they arrested Hardison after his win prompted further scrutiny, and he was convicted, according to the paper.