ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
99°
Sunny
H 100° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    99°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 100° L 77°
  • clear-day
    78°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 100° L 77°
  • clear-day
    96°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 101° L 78°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

NHL sued by former players over head injuries

First the National Football League, and now the National Hockey League. Ten former NHL players have filed a class-action lawsuit against the league for failing to protect players from head-related injuries. 

The complaint claims the NHL actively and purposefully concealed the severe risks associated with head injuries sustained from body checking and fights that can lead to brain impairment down the road. (ESPN)

It reads: "Many of the players, including Plaintiffs, sustained repetitive brain injuries while in the NHL and now suffer from latent or manifest neuro-degenerative disorders or diseases, all of which, in whole or in part, were caused by the NHL’s acts and/or omissions.” (Via New York Daily News)

The lawsuit mirrors legal action take by more than 4,500 former pro football players against the National Football League. 

That lawsuit, which contained similar language about the NFL failing to warn players about the long-term dangers of repeated head hits, ended in August after the NFL agreed to pay $765 million to settle the hundreds of cases. (Via PBS)

ESPN explains the NHL lawsuit " ... accuses the league of promoting a 'culture of violence,' in which players are praised for their fighting and 'head-hunting' skills."

And the attorney for the players says the league's refusal to outlaw "bare-knuckle fighting and body-checking" is at the center of the problem. (Via NESN)

"Instead, the NHL prefers to continue employing and glorifying 'enforcers,' players whose primary role is to fight and violently body-check opposing players." (Via USA Today)

The NHL says they're aware of the legal action, and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly released this statement on behalf of the league.

" ... we are completely satisfied with the responsible manner in which the League and the Players' Association have managed Player safety over time, including with respect to head injuries and concussions.  We intend to defend the case vigorously and have no further comment at this time." (Via SB Nation)

The lawsuit involves players who in the league during the 70s, 80s, and 90s, including Rick Vaive, Gary Leeman and Curt Bennett. The NHL did not institute a concussion program until 1997 and did not start enforcing strict concussion protocols until 2011. 

- See more at newsy.com.  http://www.newsy.com/videos/nhl-sued-by-former-players-over-head-injuries/#sthash.pcM9SkhT.dpuf

 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • A day after a newspaper interview in which President Donald Trump raised questions about his choice for the job of Attorney General, the White House expressed public support for Jeff Sessions, saying Mr. Trump “has confidence in his ability” to lead the Department of Justice. “He was disappointed,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said of the President’s view of Sessions and his recusal earlier this year from any involvement in the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 elections, and possible links to the Trump campaign. “But clearly he has confidence in him or he would not be the Attorney General,” Sanders told reporters at an off-camera White House briefing. Sarah Sanders said if Trump didn't have confidence in Jeff Sessions as attorney general 'he wouldn't be in that position.' — Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) July 20, 2017 It was a much different answer than one publicly given to reporters in early June, when news surfaced of Mr. Trump’s frustration with Sessions and the Russia probe recusal, as the White House at that point refused to give any answer on whether the President wanted Sessions to quit. Here is the exchange between reporters and Spicer on the subject of Trump/Sessions pic.twitter.com/WF59VZ5E9q — Jamie Dupree (@jamiedupree) June 6, 2017 Back then, supporters of Mr. Trump claimed the New York Times story was ‘fake news,’ but the President’s own words – in a New York Times interview on Wednesday – confirmed that Trump-Sessions frustration scenario. “Sessions should have never recused himself, and if he was going to recuse himself, he should have told me before he took the job, and I would have picked somebody else,” the President told a group of New York Times reporters. Earlier in the day at an unrelated news conference, the Attorney General was asked by reporters about Mr. Trump’s remarks, and gave no hint about possibly resigning. AG Sessions: 'I have the honor of serving as attorney general…I plan to continue to do so as long as that is appropriate.' pic.twitter.com/suukiMokyE — ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) July 20, 2017 Back in June, it was reported that Sessions – stung by the President’s frustration over the Russia-recusal matter – had offered to resign his post. Sessions was the very first GOP Senator to endorse Mr. Trump, in late February of 2016. In Congress, Democrats seized on Mr. Trump’s remarks, saying it was obvious that the President wanted someone in the job of Attorney General who would squelch the Russia investigation. “The smoke billows higher and higher,” said Rep. Don McEachin (D-VA), “the fire is likely not too far behind.”
  • Police in suburban Cleveland say a fast-food restaurant customer angry about the way his sandwich tasted and looked threatened to shoot somebody over it. The South Euclid Police Department reported receiving a call Tuesday about a man storming into the Steak 'n Shake restaurant 'acting crazy,' saying he had a gun and was going to shoot someone. Police say the 20-year-old man complained that the egg on his sandwich was runny and slimy and looked like spit. He was in custody Wednesday pending a court appearance on an aggravated menacing charge. Police say he didn't have a gun. Police posted on the department Facebook page tips for better ways to deal with restaurant dissatisfaction. Police added in the post that they don't take special orders at 'hotel SEPD.
  • Many people remember where they were when the first verdict for OJ Simpson came down after a long trial in the death of Nicole. Now, more than 20 years later, Simpson is once again in the spotlight as his appearance before the Nevada Parole Board was broadcast live by every major outlet. The board voted Thursday afternoon to release Simpson in October. Simpson received a 33-year sentence in 2008 for an armed robbery involving two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room. The 70-year-old asked Nevada parole officials to release him in October, when he will have served the minimum nine years.  Simpson made headlines on the football field but the Heisman-winner became infamous after he was implicated in his ex-wife's murder in 1994. He was acquitted of all charges after a highly publicized trial.
  • A coffee brand has issued a recall after the FDA found it contained an ingredient similar to the active one in Viagra. Bestherbs Coffee LLC voluntarily recalled all the lots of New of Kopi Jantan Tradisional Natural Herbs Coffee after an FDA lab found “the presence of desmethyl carbodenafil. Desmethyl carbodenafil is structurally similar to sildenafil, the active ingredient in Viagra, an FDA-approved prescription drug for erectile dysfunction.” The analysis also said instant coffee brand contains undeclared milk. >> Read the recall notice here Additionally, the recall notice said: “These undeclared ingredient [sic] may interact with nitrates found in some prescription drugs, such as nitroglycerin, and may lower blood pressure to dangerous levels. Men with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or heart disease often take nitrates. In addition, people who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product.” Now, it should not be a total shock, as “New of Kopi Jantan Tradisional Natural Herbs Coffee is used as a male enhancement.” Still, the recall notice has been issued for the 13-gram, red packs with UPC 557205060083 on the box and containing 25 packets. The packages were distributed from July 2014 through June 2016. New of Kopi Jantan Tradisional Natural Herbs Coffee is consumed as an instant coffee. No illnesses have been reported so far. The recall notice advises: “Bestherbs Coffee LLC is notifying its customers by phone. Consumers that have New of Kopi Jantan Tradisional Natural Herbs Coffee which is being recalled should stop using/discard/ and contact their doctor. Please return the product to Bestherbs Coffee LLC, 4250 Claremont Dr, Grand Priarie, TX 75052. Customers returning the product will be reimbursed by check for the returned goods and postage. Consumers with questions regarding this recall can contact Bestherbs Natural Coffee at 817-903-2288 or Albertyee.abc@hotmail.com, Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm CST. Consumers should contact their physician or healthcare provider if they have experienced any problems that may be related to taking or using this drug product.”
  • A stabbing is under investigation by Tulsa police. Nathan Evans is accused of stabbing his partner at the Alden Apartments near 11th and Denver. Tulsa Police Corporal Brandon Davis said, “The victim told us that they had both been doing meth together prior to this and for no reason the suspect started freaking out on him and just started stabbing him.”   The victim is expected to recover from the attack that happened around 5 a.m. Thursday. Evans faces charges that include domestic assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.