Mostly Sunny
H 90° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 90° L 68°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Sunny. H 90° L 68°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 90° L 68°

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00


Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00


Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Latest from April Hill

    UPDATE: Late Thursday afternoon police confirmed that evidence shows a husband shot and killed his wife, then turned the gun on himself in midtown Tulsa. Relatives reportedly told investigators the couple had experienced some marital problems recently, but they never thought the situation would turn violent. Homicide Detective Jason White told KRMG at the scene both the husband and wife were in their thirties. Police have not released their names, because not all family members have been notified. The woman’s death becomes the 50th homicide of 2017 in Tulsa. Police were called to a home near 15th and Sheridan Thursday afternoon. Investigators on the scene tell a KRMG reporter that the bodies of a husband and wife in their 30s were found inside the house. It’s believed to be a murder-suicide. Only one shell casing has been found so far.  Police did find a gun. Homicide detectives say the couple had two young sons who were out of town.  Listen to NEWS102.3 KRMG for the latest developments.
  • A judge handed down the sentence for the former Pawhuska substitute teacher on Monday. Lacey Sponsler is accused of exposing herself to students when she did a cartwheel while wearing a long skirt but no underwear in February. Sponsler pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of indecent exposure.  She was given a two year suspended sentence and can't teach for two years.  The former educator will not have to register as a sex offender.
  • Police have now opened a homicide investigation. The newborn boy’s body was found in a trash bin April 9 wrapped in a blanket and plastic bag inside a wooden box in Enid. An autopsy report on the cause of death was released Tuesday from the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office. The infant is only being identified as Baby Boy Green. The report does not list an age for the boy, but notes that the umbilical cord was still attached. A woman described by Enid police as a person of interest in the case was later arrested on unrelated drug, child neglect and obstruction charges and was ordered to undergo a competency evaluation.
  • Shaun Bosse convicted of killing his girlfriend and her two children in McClain County, then burning their mobile home in 2010. Bosse was accused in the deaths of 25-year-old Katrina Griffin, 8-year-old Christian Griffin and 6-year-old Chasity Hammer.  Their bodies were found July 23, 2010, in their burned mobile home in Dibble, about 40 miles south of Oklahoma City. On Monday, the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals agreed to rehear the appeal of the 34-year-old inmate. The appeals court has previously upheld Bosse's convictions and sentence.  Judges granted a rehearing to consider certain appellate issues they say may have effected Bosse's trial.    
  • An Excessive Heat Warning means we’re experiencing a prolonged period of dangerously hot temperatures. The National Weather Service office in Tulsa issued the warning for Tulsa and surrounding counties until 8pm Saturday.  High temperatures ranging in the mid-90s to around 103 degrees be back tomorrow afternoon. Forecasters say the combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will create a dangerous situation where heat illnesses are likely.  Drink plenty of fluids and stay in an air conditioned room.  Stay out of the sun and check up on relatives and neighbors.  When in the car, don’t forget to check the back seat for pets and children before you leave. Temperatures inside a car can become lethal in just a few minutes.  FOX23 Chief Meteorologist James Aydelott says we’ll get some relief with a chance for showers and storms Sunday evening.
  • A rare baby Amur tiger cub at a zoo in Philadelphia was neglected by its mother after its birth earlier this month. The cub named Zoya, which means 'life' in Russian, is being sent to the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden. Zoya will integrate with a tiger cub litter there. The Philadelphia Zoo says 10-year-old Koosaka gave birth July 10 to a litter of five cubs.  Two were stillborn and one was accidentally injured by the mother and died.  The zoo says the mother never showed maternal behavior toward the remaining cubs and they were moved to the zoo's animal hospital, where the fourth died. Amur tigers, also called Siberian tigers, are endangered in the wild. They're found in eastern Russia and northeastern China.
  • Many people remember where they were when the first verdict for OJ Simpson came down after a long trial in the death of Nicole. Now, more than 20 years later, Simpson is once again in the spotlight as his appearance before the Nevada Parole Board was broadcast live by every major outlet. The board voted Thursday afternoon to release Simpson in October. Simpson received a 33-year sentence in 2008 for an armed robbery involving two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room. The 70-year-old asked Nevada parole officials to release him in October, when he will have served the minimum nine years.  Simpson made headlines on the football field but the Heisman-winner became infamous after he was implicated in his ex-wife's murder in 1994. He was acquitted of all charges after a highly publicized trial.
  • 13-year-old Lizzie Edwards died Wednesday morning after she was taken off life support Tuesday. The crash on I-35, near Purcell, also killed 11-year-old Beck Kitterman, 10-year-old Zach Van Horn and 40-year-old Erin Van Horn of Tulsa. Trooper Dwight Durant says two other 13-year-old girls are hospitalized with injuries suffered in the crash. A 7-year-old girl was treated and released.  The OHP says the seven were in an SUV driven by Van Horn when it crashed into the rear of a tractor-trailer rig on the interstate. Durant says the semi was stopped in a construction zone at the time of the collision.
  • Prosecutors offered a first glimpse Wednesday of what they believe might have driven Benjamin Don Roden to plant a pipe bomb late Monday at the Air Force recruiting center in Bixby. Acting U.S. Attorney Loretta Radford says Benjamin Roden 'turned to hate' after finding out he couldn't become an electrician. Radford says Roden left that branch of the military when he couldn't complete the training required to become a certified electrician. Roden was discharged from the Air National Guard's 138th Fighter Wing in April.  He had been a senior airman, whose job involved fire protection. Roden made his first appearance in federal court Wednesday, acknowledging before U.S. Magistrate Judge Frank H. McCarthy that he understood the charges against him, which include using an explosive to commit a felony.  FBI Agents say they found pipe bombs in Roden’s apartment near 61st and Riverside.
  • Police are still looking for suspects and witnesses after a man and woman were shot at a busy ballpark in Crawford Park Sunday. Police say Michael Daniels was dead at the scene and Chantel Mack died later at a hospital.  Daniels was in his 30s and Mack was in her 20s. Sgt. Dave Walker said it isn't clear whether the two victims were the targets of the shooting.  Detectives are still sifting through clues to find the motive. Sgt. Walker says detectives were told different stories about what led to the gunfire.
  • April Hill

    News Director

    April Hill's first "job" in radio was in college at WMSV. Early every morning she would rise and shine after waiting tables late into the night. Hill didn't actually get paid. She was just thrilled to have an opportunity to get real live on-air experience. The importance of her first morning radio anchor gig wouldn't be realized until more than a decade later.

    Hill's first paid job in broadcasting was at the CBS TV affiliate in Jackson, MS, in 1998. Her shift as the associate producer on the morning show at WJTV started at 10:00 p.m. Hill said, "I remember telling my boss how excited I was after getting my first paycheck and he laughed. The check was very small, but I was still a kid really. I'd never had a check that big." She worked a retail job to afford rent in a high crime area of town. "I didn't care. For the first time, I had my own place all to myself. I also got a good laugh when people asked where I lived. Their facial expressions, filled with horror, were so entertaining."

    Hill decided to get in on the action in front of the camera. The market size in Jackson was too big for them to giver her a shot (although she tried). After sending out at least 100 resumés with no response. Hill quit her job to concentrate on chasing her dream full-time. Hill's  brother lived in Tulsa and was willing to let her live there rent free for a few months. "I drove to every small television station from Florida to Iowa, 25 cities altogether. I got only one offer and that's all I needed."

    In 2001, Hill started as a reporter at KLKN-TV in Lincoln, NE. She said, "I really loved Lincoln. It's filled with honest, hard working people." Hill was what they call in the business a one-man-band. She was the reporter, photographer and the editor. Living in a capitol city, and the home of the Husker's, taught her how to cover every story under the sun. "I worked weekends at first, so I was on the 50-yard line every home game covering the fans. I then moved up to the legislature beat Monday through Friday. In between, there were tornados, snow storms and drought... a lot like here in Oklahoma."

    In 2007, Hill decided she wanted to move home. Since she grew up in the small town of Independence, KS, Tulsa was the perfect distance and size. "I had been away from home for so long and it was strange when I would talk to people who knew about my home town. Some had even been there." She took a producer job at KJRH, which had a weather camera on main street in Independence. Hill said, "The meteorologists would use it as much as possible during my newscast because they knew I'd love it."

    Hill was back home and content, until KRMG's Steve Berg approached her about a weekend anchor job that was open at the radio station. "I thought, oh radio? I haven't done that in a while. Sounds like fun." Dan Potter was the news director and hired her a couple of months later. Hill worked seven days a week for three years. She said, "I looked forward to my weekends at KRMG, but I wanted full-time. I wanted it so badly that I would fill-in working both jobs on holidays and only took one weekend off for a family wedding." Her hard work paid off.

    The morning show host at the time, KRMG's Joe Kelley, hired Hill full-time as soon as a position was available. She said, "I loved it from day one. Joe and I just clicked. He worked hard and recognized my work ethic and passion for the radio station. So, Joe became my mentor and all of the sudden promotions started happening faster than I could even ask." A few months after going full-time, Hill was asked to take the morning anchor position. It was only another few months and she was tapped to be the news director, taking over Kelley's position when he moved to sister station WDBO in Orlando. "My emotions were all over the board. I was losing my best boss and gaining the highest position of my career."

    Kelley left Hill in good hands. Dan Potter took over as morning host (remember, he was the one who hired her). "Dan and I are going to continue the momentum than KRMG has been building for years. We're here to stay and even get better. I believe that 100 percent."

    Read More
  • We have updated information regarding a man accused of breaking into several businesses around Tulsa, through rooftop air-conditioning units. Police report Rory Parker was caught on Friday, leaving a Tulsa Gold and Silver store. The alleged ‘rooftop burglar’s” east Tulsa neighbors were surprised by the news, but happy he's in jail. “I’m glad he’s caught, finally,” a neighbor said.   While searching his home, officers recovered cell phones, electronics, antiques, sports memorabilia, golf clubs, swords and other items.  It’s said to thousands of dollars worth of stolen merchandise. Parker has been booked into the Tulsa County Jail.   
  • If you have outdoor plans for Saturday, the forecast will be in your favor. National Weather Service Meteorologist Mark Plate says we have a beautiful day ahead of us. “Looking mostly sunny, with a high temperature around 90,” Plate said.   The low Saturday night will be around 67 degrees. NWS reports there will be a few more clouds in the sky on Sunday, but not much of a difference in temperature.  The high is expected to be around 88 degrees. For reference, the average high for this time of year in Tulsa is around 95 degrees.  
  • Personal and financial details of the divorce settlement between former Miami Dolphins cheerleader Lynn Aronberg and Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg were released in an unusual press statement Thursday. The statement notes that, “according to a source familiar with the negotiations, the former Lynn Lewis, who spun her old Dolphins gig into a successful PR firm, is receiving about $100,000 worth of benefits in exchange for her signature on the dotted line. The deal calls for Aronberg, 46, to pay for half of Lynn’s rent in a luxury Boca Raton condo until next summer. She’s also reportedly getting a brand new BMW and $40,000 cash.” Lynn Aronberg said she does not know how the press release came to include the settlement’s financial details, which she described as confidential, even though she works for the public relations firm, TransMedia Group, that issued the press statement on her behalf. “Whatever’s been put out there, I haven’t gotten to the bottom of it,” Lynn Aronberg told The Palm Beach Post Thursday. Adrienne Mazzone, president of TransMedia, said her client announced the divorce settlement to satisfy a curious public. “Lynn is certainly a media maven,” Mazzone said. “The public has been asking a lot of questions, and we’re simply accommodating that.” Aronberg not only is a client, but an executive vice president of TransMedia, whose website says she has recently returned to the firm where she worked “before launching her own PR firm, Lynn Aronberg Public Relations, which she will maintain to serve a select group of private clients.” Lynn Aronberg said she and her ex-husband agreed to release a single joint paragraph, which reads: “After much consideration over the past few months, we’ve decided to respectfully and amicably part ways and end our marriage. We are, however, dedicated to remaining close friends. We kindly ask for your supporting in preserving our privacy as we start to navigate this new chapter in our lives.” Beyond that paragraph, however, the release includes eight other paragraphs with personal information not typically made public and sent to the press. Dave Aronberg proposed at the Eiffel Tower, according to the statement. Nearly two years later, the statement describes the Aronberg split as the “Trump Divorce,” noting that Dave Aronberg is a Democrat and describing Lynn Aronberg as “a staunch Republican and supporter of President Donald Trump” who “said she felt increasingly isolated in the marriage.” In addition to their different political views, children were also an issue in the marriage, according to the statement. “They have no children, which was a problem for Lynn,” the statement reads. “She said she wanted children, but Aronberg was in no hurry.” Efforts to reach Dave Aronberg Thursday were unsuccessful. Lynn Aronberg said the information about her disagreement with Dave Aronberg on the subject of children was not a secret. “I told people a long time ago that I wanted a baby and that he wasn’t moving quickly enough,” she said. The statement notes that Dave Aronberg is considering a challenge to U.S. Rep. Brian Mast, R-Palm City. At one point, Lynn Aronberg was about to dip into the GOP legal ranks for help with the divorce, according to the statement. “When the divorce seemed to be stalling last month Lynn started interviewing nationally famous divorce lawyers and one, Larry Klayman, the right wing founder of Freedom Watch and Judicial Watch, was ready to pounce until the former lovebirds settled,” the statement reads. Lynn Aronberg said she does not believe the release of personal and financial information from the divorce will have any political impact on her ex-husband. “Do you?” she asked. “I think he looks great. He makes for a great ex-husband. I don’t wish him anything but goodwill. I want the best for him.”
  • For a second straight Friday, there was major job news from the White House, as President Donald Trump used Twitter to announce that his Chief of Staff Reince Priebus was on his way out, to be replaced by Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, in another internal shakeup at the White House. “I would like to thank Reince Priebus for his service and dedication to his country,” the President wrote on Twitter. “We accomplished a lot together and I am proud of him!” But it had been obvious for some time from news reports that Priebus seemed to be on thin ice in the Trump White House. The news broke as the President returned to Washington from an event on Long Island, in New York. Pres. Trump: 'Reince is a good man. John Kelly will do a fantastic job. General Kelly has been a star.' https://t.co/MpIEM5p38Q pic.twitter.com/WW6db9g3SV — ABC News (@ABC) July 28, 2017 Priebus had been on the trip, but according to the White House Pool report, the car he was riding in was separated from the President’s motorcade, as Mr. Trump headed back to the White House. I am pleased to inform you that I have just named General/Secretary John F Kelly as White House Chief of Staff. He is a Great American…. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 28, 2017 …and a Great Leader. John has also done a spectacular job at Homeland Security. He has been a true star of my Administration — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 28, 2017 A week ago, Anthony Scaramucci was unexpectedly brought in as White House Communications Director, prompting the resignation of Press Secretary Sean Spicer. That brought immediate questions about the ability of Scaramucci and Priebus to co-exist inside the Trump White House – and it took just a week for Priebus to be on his way out. On Thursday, House Speaker Paul Ryan – a fellow Wisconsin resident like Priebus – had downplayed the idea that Priebus was in trouble. . @SpeakerRyan: 'Reince is doing a fantastic job at the White House and I believe he has the president's confidence.' pic.twitter.com/UmGCxUaSpX — CSPAN (@cspan) July 27, 2017 Priebus had been the head of the Republican National Committee during Mr. Trump’s ascendancy in the GOP primaries, moving over to help with the campaign for November. He then was tapped as White House Chief of Staff, despite some concerns from some Trump backers, who saw Priebus as too much of the GOP Establishment.
  • The Tulsa Police Department is in the process of renewing its accreditation with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, commonly referred to as CALEA. An important part of that process is to get feedback from the community on the department’s job performance. The department will be rated based on four criteria: Policy and procedures, administration, operations, and support services. TPD Officer Dan explains that the department needs to know how it’s doing. “It’s basically a public service question,” he told KRMG. “Are we fulfilling the goals and the desires you have for how a police department should act?” There are several ways by which citizens can provide feedback. TPD employees and the public can attend a meeting on August 14th at 7:00 p.m. at the COMPSTAT conference room at the 600 Civic Center. They can also comment by phone from the hours of 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. August 14th by calling 918-596-9339. An independent assessment team will gather those comments, which must be limited to ten minutes. Written comments can be sent by mail to the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA), 13575 Heathcoat Blvd, Suite 320, Gainesville, VA 20155. Ashley tells KRMG so far, the process is going quite smoothly - despite a year of violent incidents including several fatal police shootings. “The guys that are actually doing the paperwork for getting the accreditation up said ‘man, we’re getting our stuff in (in) a timely manner, we’re not having any problems,” he said Friday.