A family in southwest London was forced to evacuate their home after a cluster of deadly Brazilian wandering spiders began hatching off a banana about to be consumed by a young mother.
The bananas came from a neighborhood supermarket. Consi Taylor, 29, said she saw white spots on the banana skin and thought it was mold until she looked closer and saw tiny spiders scampering off the banana and on to her table and carpet.
"I got halfway through the banana when I saw something white on the skin. I thought it was mold but when I had a closer look I saw some funny looking spots," Taylor told The Sun.
"I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet. I was so scared I started crying," Taylor said.
Taylor took the bananas back to the store for a refund. But returning the banana did not solve the problem.
Shortly after getting the bananas out of the house, she heard back from a pest control specialist, who recognized that the arachnids were very dangerous -- "the most toxic" of all spiders, according to the Guinness World Records.
The spider's venom can trigger breathing problems, paralysis and even asphyxiation.
Taylor, her husband and their two small kids checked into a hotel and had their home fumigated. They also had to have all their clothes dry-cleaned. The supermarket chain apologized and picked up the bills.
"I hope I didn't eat one but I can't be sure," Taylor said. "I now have a phobia of buying bananas. We don't know whether they've all gone."