ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
89°
Sunny
H 90° L 71°
  • cloudy-day
    89°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 90° L 71°
  • clear-day
    73°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 90° L 71°
  • cloudy-day
    89°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 94° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Report says Target neglected initial data breach reports

Target announced back in February the retail company was planning to install new anti-fraud technology in the wake of a massive data theft that affected tens of millions of customers.

But Businessweek reported Thursday all of the trouble could've been avoided. "Hackers began capturing credit card data Nov. 27. Three days later, a sophiscated security tool made by FireEye spotted the malware." 

Target reportedly spent $1.6 million on FireEye, which is used by the Pentagon and the CIA, then hired security personnel in Bangalore, India, to monitor the software. 

Businessweek says the specialists sent the alert to Target's security operations center in Minnesota—then, nothing. "Target stood by as 40 million credit card numbers—and 70 million addresses, phone numbers, and other pieces of personal information—gushed out of its mainframes."

Bloomberg editor Josh Tyrangiel told CBS many have speculated that the software was too complicated or too new for Target to respond effectively, but added the paper's investigation also revealed something peculiar. "Not only did it ignore its own alerts, there's an automated system within FireEye that could've detected and eradicated the malware, the bad software. That feature had been turned off on the system."

According to Mashable, the report contradicts what Target has previously said about the breach. "In a Congressional testimony, the company claims that it only learned of the attack in mid-December, after the U.S. Department of Justice caught it and contacted Target. However, Businessweek cites computer logs that show there were FireEye alerts from Nov. 30 and then Dec. 2, when a second attack occurred. "

Businessweek also reported on a similar misfortune with Neiman Marcus' data breach. The high-end retailer reportedly missed 60,000 security alerts after malware began stealing user information from their stores. (Via Flickr / rocor)

Gizmodo reported the hackers gave the malicious software a name similar to Neiman Marcus' official payment software "making it tough to distinguish suspicious activity from false positives." What's more: the system set to automatically block harmful software was also turned off. 

CNET received a statement from Target regarding the Businessweek story. The statement reads in part, "With the benefit of hindsight, we are investigating whether, if different judgments had been made the outcome may have been different. Our investigation is ongoing and we are committed to making further investments in our people, processes and technology with the goal of reinforcing security for our guests."

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • We’re learning more about a bizarre death investigation in Sand Springs. Police identified a body found in a Walmart bathroom as 29-year-old Katherine Caraway of Muskogee. The bathroom had been locked for days. Employees told police they assumed the bathroom needed to be fixed, so they placed an out-of-order sign on the door.  Caraway’s body was found when they opened the door on Monday. Police aren’t sure exactly when the woman died. Caraway was seen on store video entering the room three days before her body was found.  Capt. Todd Enzbrenner says video shows Caraway entering the room about 6 p.m. Friday.  Enzbrenner says a maintenance worker opened the door shortly after 3 p.m. Monday. The body was sent to the state medical examiner to determine the cause of death, but police say the death doesn't appear suspicious.
  • A Brentwood, California, man reportedly shot dead two men who tried to rob his home, and the chilling incident was caught on a neighbor's surveillance video. >> Watch a news report showing portions of the video here (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised)   neighbor speaking to KTVU, Reggie Nichols, said the homeowner told him that four men tried to break into the home late Wednesday and steal a safe, but he shot two of them dead. According to the East Bay Times, the robbers, who were armed with a pistol, are said to have been in their 30s. The homeowner and the deceased have not been named. >> Read more trending news “I’m ticked off, because this kind of stuff doesn’t happen around here,” Nichols said. “It’s a good neighborhood. It’s been a really long time since something like this (happened).” Police said the man will not be charged, as it appears to be a clear-cut case of self-defense. “The preliminary information shows it to be a home-invasion robbery,” Brentwood police Lt. Walter O’Grodnick said. “Two suspects. One with a firearm. They presented a threat, and the shooting was prompted in self-defense.”
  • Unable to muster enough votes, Republican leaders in the Senate said on Tuesday that they would not force a final vote on a GOP health care bill this week, trying to get extra time to negotiate a plan which could win the backing of 50 Republican Senators, as a vote seemed like to slip into the month of July. “It’s a big complicated subject,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who downplayed GOP troubles, vowing not to give up on changes to the Obama health law. “Legislation of this complexity almost always takes longer than anybody would hope,” McConnell added, as GOP Senators were to meet later in the day with President Donald Trump at the White House. .@SenateMajLdr on health care vote delay: 'We're going to continue discussions' within conference, White House 'very anxious to help.' pic.twitter.com/MYkLRc8nQH — ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) June 27, 2017
  • The Transportation Security Administration says a 20-pound live lobster has been spotted in a passenger's luggage at Boston's Logan International Airport.  TSA spokesman Michael McCarthy says the lobster found Sunday in the passenger's checked luggage at the airport's Terminal C is the 'largest' he's ever seen.  McCarthy says the TSA doesn't prohibit transporting lobsters.  The TSA website says a live lobster is allowed through security but must be transported in a 'clear, plastic, spill-proof container.'  McCarthy says the lobster was in a cooler and 'cooperated quite nicely with the screening process.'  He shared a picture of a TSA agent holding up the crustacean on social media.
  • A Charlotte woman said she was headed home from a work conference in Tampa Bay, Florida, but was stopped after going through a Transportation Safety Administration body scanner, according to WSOC-TV. She said she was told by TSA agents at the airport in Tampa Bay that she needed to be searched again after part of her body lit up on the scanner's screen, the exact spot where she was wearing a typical feminine hygiene product. >> Read more trending news  'The ladies were like, ‘We're going to have to search your vaginal area and buttocks,’ and I'm like, ‘That makes no sense to me. You can clearly tell that that's a feminine product.’' She refused the search and argued with TSA agents for about 20 minutes. “(They said) ‘Ma'am, this is just standard procedure we have to do this. If you don't allow us to do this, you will not be boarding your flight,’' she said. 'I'm crying the entire time because to me, this is very personal for you to search me in those areas, and I don't feel comfortable. They called in the police and everyone's standing there looking.' Eventually, she agreed to the search in a private room. They went up my leg, down my leg, in the front, then up my leg and down my leg in the back with my arms up. The entire time I'm crying,' she said. 'I felt like a criminal. She's patting me down and they're holding my hands up and they're going on my waistline.' When agents found nothing, they let her go.  Three days later, she's still confused, devastated and wants other women to know what happened. 'That's a real issue not just for myself, but for other women like that's so embarrassing to have to be stopped and searched like that,' she said. TSA Statement: 'We take reports of alleged impropriety very seriously and regret any distress the security screening process may have caused the passenger. TSA conducted a thorough review of the passenger's screening and concluded that all security protocols were followed as our officers worked to resolve an alarm. TSA officers must work to resolve all alarms at the checkpoint to ensure everyone arrives safely at their destination. However, incidents such as the one described are extremely rare and women should not be concerned about going through the security checkpoint.' Background provided by TSA: 'The advanced imaging technology scanner at the checkpoint helps TSA identify concealed metallic and nonmetallic items between the skin and clothing using millimeter-wave technology. So if an individual were to try to conceal something in the area of the groin, the machine would detect it. It is not out of the question that the machine could detect something placed inside an individual's underwear.