- Family of 4 consumes meat contaminated with LSD, leaves hospital as family of 5
- Dead six years, woman discovered in her own house
- New scam targets Netflix subscribers
- America's 'deadliest fraternity' drops pledging
- Mom who drove children into ocean has ties to 2007 fatal crash
Authorities in Alabama say a 78-year-old Decatur woman had been living with the body of her deceased husband for at least a month.
According to WAAY, police were at the home for a welfare check after they were told family members had not heard from the couple in several weeks.
That’s when they found 75-year-old Jessie Kirby lying dead in his bedroom. Authorities say he suffered from multiple health problems and believe he died of natural causes.
According to AL.com his wife, Doris Kirby, had Alzheimer’s disease and was staying in the living room. The coroner told the website: “I don't think she was comprehending he was not in there with her ... The Alzheimer's was advanced enough to know she should eat something, but that's about all she knew.”
WAFF spoke with a neighbor who says she had known the family for decades.
“To think that all of us live right here this close and none of us know anything about it.”
Officials have ruled out foul play in Jessie’s death. Doris was taken to the local hospital where she is recovering.