Breaking News

LISTEN: 911 call made by man after he shoots, kills 3 burglars

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
65°
Scattered Clouds
H 77° L 47°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    65°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 77° L 47°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    48°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 77° L 47°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    49°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 54° L 41°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday
Close

Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday

Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday
Photo Credit: Pool
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 28: President Donald Trump signs three executive actions in the Oval Office on January 28, 2017 in Washington, DC. The actions outline a reorganization of the National Security Council, implement a five year lobbying ban on administration officials and a lifetime ban on administration officials lobbying for a foreign country and calls on military leaders to present a report to the president in 30 days that outlines a strategy for defeating ISIS. (Photo by Pete Marovich - Pool/Getty Images)

Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday

UPDATE: Politico is reporting that President Donald Trump is expected to sign a new executive order on immigration Monday at the Department of Homeland Security. 

The White House has not confirmed this information.

Read the original report below.

President Donald Trump plans to issue a new executive order soon after a panel of federal judges unanimously upheld a lower court's decision to suspend his immigration order amid challenges by state attorneys earlier this month.

>> Read more trending stories

"We will be issuing a new and very comprehensive order to protect our people," Trump said Thursday at a news conference.

He added that the order is being "tailored" to the decision made on Feb. 9 by judges in the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

"The president intends in the near future to rescind the order and replace it with a new, substantially revised executive order to eliminate what the panel erroneously thought were constitutional concerns," the Justice Department wrote in briefs filed Thursday. "In so doing, the president will clear the way for immediately protecting the country rather than pursuing further, potentially time-consuming litigation."

A three-judge panel last week rejected arguments from the administration that the president has broad discretion over immigration policy, particularly when the policies cite national security concerns.

"Rather than present evidence to explain the need for the executive order, the government has taken the position that we must not review its decision at all," the judges wrote in their decision. "There is no precedent to support this claimed unreviewability, which runs contrary to the fundamental structure of our constitutional democracy."

>> Related: U.S. Appeals Court unanimously upholds suspension of Trump travel ban

The states at the center of the case, Washington and Minnesota, showed that they would likely suffer "irreparable harm" because of the order, which they said "unconstitutionally and illegally stranded its residents abroad, split their families, restricted their travel and damaged the state's economy and public universities," the judges determined.

The panel did not rule on the constitutionality of the ban.

Trump told reporters last week that he might sign "a brand-new order" after the judges' decision. Still, he remained adamant that the order would ultimately pass constitutional muster.

>> Related: Trump's immigration ban: What to know

"We will win that battle," he said. "The unfortunate part is that it takes time statutorily, but we will win that battle. We also have a lot of other options, including just filing a brand-new order."

Trump signed the initial immigration order on Jan. 27. It suspended travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days and paused the country's refugee program for 120 days. Refugees from Syria were indefinitely banned and authorities were directed to prioritize refugee applications based on applicants' religious beliefs after the 120-day period.

The order elicited protests nationwide and widespread confusion at airports, but the White House has argued that it is necessary to ensure the safety of Americans and American interests.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • A 5-year-old boy is recovering at a hospital after being bitten by a rattlesnake in DeBary, Florida.  >> Read more trending news Volusia County investigators said Tampa resident Elijah Vaughn, 5, and his family were at a relative's house on Fort Florida Point Road on Saturday after leaving a funeral.  Vaughn and his mother went outside so the boy could play on the jungle gym in the yard, deputies said.  When Vaughn approached the jungle gym, he walked underneath the platform and saw what he thought was a toy snake.  As the boy reached for the snake, it bit him on the right index finger, according to a police report. His mother rushed Vaughn to meet with deputies and he was taken to Central Florida Regional Hospital, where he received anti-venom treatment, investigators said. Vaughn was then taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children.  Officials said the boy's swelling had not spread down his arm and was primarily on his hand and wrist.  The snake, believed to be a pygmy rattlesnake, was caught and killed.
  • France's attempts to counter the radicalization of its young people are in turmoil, with a group home intended to turn them away from Islamic extremism empty, the head of a highly publicized nonprofit convicted of misuse of public funds, and plans to segregate prison inmates suspected of harboring jihadi ideas abandoned. The results are both disappointing and unsurprising, according to a French senator who co-wrote a recent report highly critical of an effort she says was devised in haste and has been a waste of money. 'We spread money around because we didn't have time and we had to communicate something, we had to show something,' said Sen. Esther Benbassa, whose report last month concluded that the country's de-radicalization efforts so far were largely ineffective. 'The time that this takes to work is long, very long.' The backtracking takes on added significance as recent attacks, including last week's rampage in London and the previous week's assault on soldiers at Paris' Orly airport, were carried out by ex-convicts who may have been radicalized behind bars. France is not the only country reconsidering how it responds to radicalization. Britain's contentious Prevent program, which seeks to identify residents at risk of being radicalized, has come under criticism by rights groups and an expert for the United Nations who said it stifles free speech.
  • Leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. elections vowed at a joint news conference on Wednesday to conduct a thorough and bipartisan probe, clearly setting themselves apart from their House counterparts, who are locked in a bitter, partisan struggle over the course of their review. “The committee will go wherever the intelligence leads us,” said Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC), the Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. “We’re here to assure you – and more importantly the American people who are watching and listening – that we will get to the bottom of this,” said Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA), the top Democrat on that panel. Without going into much detail on who might be in for questioning when by the committee, Burr and Warner set out the basics of their probe, saying seven full-time staff members are spending weeks going through documents of the Intelligence Community on what Russia did in 2016. Sen. Mark Warner on the Senate intel committee Russia probe: 'We're gonna get it right' https://t.co/unNRqnks5q — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) March 29, 2017 Burr described the review as, “challenging to say the least,” as both men made clear this was turning out to be maybe their most important duty – ever – in the Congress. “This is one of the biggest investigations that the Hill has seen in my tenure here,” said Burr, who was first elected to the Congress in 1994. Sen. Burr on intel committee's Russia probe: “We weren’t given a free pass to do a witch hunt.' https://t.co/fo3n6WsdDC — NBC Politics (@NBCPolitics) March 29, 2017 The cooperation among members on the Senate Intelligence Committee stands in stark contrast to the infighting and finger pointing going on across the Capitol on the House Intelligence Committee. “Our investigation is stalled,” said Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA), as he blamed panel chairman, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) for canceling a variety of meetings set for this week. “I think he needs to recuse himself,” Rep. Jim Himes (D-CT) said of Nunes, as Democrats furiously contend that the sprint by Nunes to brief President Trump last week on intelligence – which he still has not shared with his committee – signals something is wrong. On the other side in the House, Republicans don’t see anything wrong with the work of Nunes, and argue Democrats are pushing conspiracy theories that have no evidence behind them. “This is media speculation being fueled by Democrats,” said Rep. Peter King (R-NY). Rep Turner (R-OH) a Republican on the House Intel Cmte asked on @MSNBC if Chairman Nunes should recuse himself: 'absolutely not' — Alex Moe (@AlexNBCNews) March 28, 2017 But over on the Senate side of the Capitol, some fellow Republicans have made clear their displeasure with the actions of Nunes over the last week – and at today’s news conference – Burr and Warner made clear they were running a different operation. “We’re not asking the House to play any role in our investigation, and we don’t plan to play any role in their investigation,” Burr told reporters. Thursday will bring a public hearing for the Senate Intelligence Committee that will focus on what Russia has been up to on the internet, using the opportunity to warn European nations what they may face when they hold elections in coming months. “I think it’s safe by everybody’s judgment that the Russians are actively involved in the French elections,” Burr said, giving one example.
  • Moments after opening fire on three suspected burglars inside his home just outside Broken Arrow Monday, Zach Peters called 911. [HEAR THE 911 CALL HERE] KRMG has obtained a recording of that call, in which Peters tells the call taker he shot two men, and “I believe one of them’s shot bad.” Peters thought he had only hit two of the suspects when he opened up with AR-15 after hearing them break into the home. But as it turned out, all three of them died on the scene. Wagoner County deputies identify them as Maxwell Cook, 19, Jacob Redfern, 17, and Jaykob Woodruff, 16. A fourth suspect, who reportedly drove the trio to the home with the intent to burglarize it, never entered the house. Elizabeth Rodriguez, 21, later turned herself in at the Broken Arrow Police Department. The District Attorney is reviewing the case to see if Peters might face any charges, but investigators indicate they think that unlikely. 
  • A paralyzed man was able to feed himself for the first time in eight years, after doctors implanted sensors in his brain that sent signals to his arm. Bill Kochevar was paralyzed from the shoulders down after a cycling accident in Cleveland in 2006. To help him move again, in 2014, doctors surgically placed two tiny implants into his brain to pick up signals from neurons from the area that controls hand movement. The signals are relayed through external cables to a computer, which sends commands to electrodes in his arm and hand muscles. After first practicing with virtual reality, Kochevar was then able to drink coffee through a straw and eat forkfuls of mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese on his own. 'It was amazing,' the 56-year-old Kochevar said. 'I couldn't believe I could do it just by thinking about it.' But after years of being paralyzed, Kochevar's shoulder wasn't strong enough to lift his arm, so doctors also provided Kochevar with a robotic arm support for extra assistance. Kochevar's case is detailed by his doctors in a paper published Tuesday in the journal Lancet.