ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
46°
Clear
H 78° L 59°
  • clear-night
    46°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 78° L 59°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    72°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 78° L 59°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    73°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 78° L 59°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Clinton emails: Lawmakers call for State official’s removal amid 'quid pro quo' allegations
Close

Clinton emails: Lawmakers call for State official’s removal amid 'quid pro quo' allegations

Clinton emails: Lawmakers call for State official’s removal amid 'quid pro quo' allegations
Photo Credit: Ann Heisenfelt
Undersecretary of State for Management Patrick Kennedy testifies at a Senate Judiciary Hearing focusing on the attempted bombing incident on Northwest Flight 253 January 20, 2009 in Washington, DC. The committee's goal is to improve the effectiveness of anti-terrorism tools and inter-agency communication in an attempt to increase airline safety after the attempted Christmas bombing of the flight. (Photo by Ann Heisenfelt/Getty Images)

Clinton emails: Lawmakers call for State official’s removal amid 'quid pro quo' allegations

Lawmakers are asking President Barack Obama to remove Patrick Kennedy from office after allegations surfaced Monday that the undersecretary of state attempted to get one of Hillary Clinton's emails declassified in a "quid pro quo" agreement with federal investigators.

>> Read more trending stories

In a joint statement, House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Jason Chafetz, R-Utah, and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-California, called Kennedy's purported attempt to persuade investigators to declassify an email "extremely disturbing."

"Those who receive classified intelligence should not barter in it – that is reckless behavior with our nation's secrets," the statement said. "Someone who would try to get classification markings doctored should not continue serving in the State Department or retain access to classified information. Therefore, President Obama and Secretary (John) Kerry should immediately remove Undersecretary Kennedy pending a full investigation."

>> Related: Clinton emails: State official accused of offering FBI 'quid pro quo' to unclassify email

The FBI on Monday released 100 pages of documents compiled as part of the investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server during her time as secretary of state. The controversy has dogged the Democratic nominee for president on the campaign trail.

She served as secretary of state from 2009 to 2013.

Allegations that Kennedy attempted to convince federal investigators to declassify an email related to the 2012 Benghazi attacks came to light in partially redacted interview notes released Monday.

"(Redacted) received a call from (redacted) of the International Operations Division (IOD) of the FBI, who 'pressured' him to change the classified email to unclassified. (Redacted) indicated he had been contacted by PATRICK KENNEDY, Undersecretary of State, who had asked his assistance in altering the email's classification in exchange for a 'quid pro quo,'" according to the notes.

>> Related: WikiLeaks emails: Trump questions whether DOJ, Clinton 'colluded' on email probe

"(Redacted) advised that, in exchange for marking the email unclassified, STATE would reciprocate by allowing the FBI to place more Agents in countries where they were presently forbidden."

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump called the revelations "unbelievable" in a tweet on Monday.

He has promised, if elected, to have a special prosecutor investigate the email scandal.

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, said in a statement that the documents prove that "our aggressive oversight work in the House is so important."

"These documents further demonstrate Secretary Clinton's complete disregard for properly handling classified information," he said. "Moreover, a senior State Department official's attempt to pressure the FBI to hide the extent of this mishandling bears all the signs of a cover-up."

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, R-Georgia, accused Kennedy of committing a felony through the alleged "quid pro quo." He called for Kennedy, who is not related to the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, to be prosecuted in a tweet sent Monday.

In a statement released to Politico, State Department deputy spokesman Mark Toner denied that State officials requested a "quid pro quo" from federal investigators.

"Undersecretary Kennedy sought to understand the FBI's process for withholding certain information from public release," he said. "As has been reported, there have been discussions within the interagency on issues of classification. Classification is an art, not a science, and individuals with classification authority sometimes have different views."

>> Related: FBI: No charges recommended in Clinton email investigation, Clinton responds

In a statement released to NBC News, the FBI also denied that a "quid pro quo" situation had taken place. Instead, officials said, Kennedy sought to understand whether an email classified "secret" should be "protected from release under a different FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) exemption."

According to FBI interview notes, Kennedy sought to have the email classified as "B9," a FOIA exception related to geological and geophysical information.

"Although there was never a quid pro quo, these allegations were nonetheless referred to the appropriate officials for review," the statement said.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said the city would begin to take down the first of four Confederate monuments early Monday, Fox News reported, while a group that sued the city to halt the action held a vigil in protest. The Liberty Monument, erected in 1891, is an obelisk that commemorates the Crescent City White League, which tried to overthrow a biracial government in New Orleans after the Civil War. Landrieu called the Liberty Monument “the most offensive of the four” and said it was erected to “revere white supremacy,” Fox News reported. “If there was ever a statue that needed to be taken down, it’s that one,” Landrieu said. Meanwhile, the Monumental Task Committee began holding a vigil at midnight at the Jefferson Davis statue, WWL reported. Landrieu has begun reviewing a bid for the removal of the Davis, Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard statues, WWL reported. A City Hall spokesman issued a statement Sunday, saying that the city is “committed to taking down the Confederate monuments.” 
  • It’s been two years since Broken Arrow High School released a Lip Dub video. The 2017 video was well worth the wait. The video had nearly 20,000 views after just a few days online.
  • The state of Arkansas plans to conduct a double execution on Monday. Two condemned killers who admit they're guilty but fear poor health could lead to extreme pain during lethal injections might become the first inmates put to death in a double execution in the U.S. in more than 16 years. Jack Jones (pictured, left) and Marcel Williams are set to die Monday night. If put to death, they would be the second and third Arkansas inmates executed this month. Arkansas originally wanted to execute eight inmates before one of its lethal injection drugs expires at the end of the month in the nation's most aggressive execution schedule since the U.S. Supreme Court restored the death penalty in 1976. Arkansas put Ledell Lee to death last week in its first execution since 2005. Another inmate, Kenneth Williams, is set for execution Thursday.
  • Saturday, funeral services were held in Tulsa, for Oklahoma State Rep. David Brumbaugh. He passed away last weekend due to an apparent heart attack. Friends, family and colleagues had nothing but good things to say about Brumbaugh. “Every time that he spoke, he did it not because of what he thought politically, but because it’s what he thought was right,” one colleague said.  “Hopefully, those of us that are still there will be able to follow that.” The service was held at Tulsa Bible Church.  During the service, Brumbaugh was remembered as a man dedicated to public service and to his faith.
  • A cashier is said to be in stable condition, after getting shot during an armed robbery Friday night. The shooting happened around 7:29 p.m., at the RK Food Mart on North Utica Avenue. “After the cashier cooperated and handed over an undisclosed amount of cash, the suspect shot him in the foot one time,” Tulsa police said.  “The victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment.” A description of the suspect hasn’t been released.   Anyone with information regarding the robbery is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 918-596-COPS.