Tulsa, Okla. - The work has begun and the barrels are moving. I-244 eastbound from Memorial to Highway 169 is being shifted to one lane for at least the remainder of the work week. Crews arrived on the site just after 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday and began the process of preparing equipment to make the changes. The work begins just after the Memorial underpass as the left lane is marked off with barrels. One of the major hanging points will be the area where highway 11 coming out of the Tulsa International Airport meets eastbound 244. That's the exact spot where it becomes a one lane road meaning there will be merging from both sides to that middle lane. You can read the Oklahoma Department of Transportation release explaining all the changes in the area below.
I-244/US-169 corridor – new lane closures Tuesday
As part of a pavement reconstruction project, expect significant delays in this corridor, especially during peak travel times.
Locate an alternate route if possible.
Lane closures include:
- The two left lanes of eastbound I-244 closed from near Memorial Dr. to US-169 through February. Starting 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, this corridor will be narrowed to one open lane through Saturday, Sept. 22. Significant delays can be expected; locate alternate route if possible.
- The left lane of eastbound I-244 closed between US-169 and 129th E. Ave. until mid-Sept. The right lane of westbound I-244 closed from near Garnett Rd. to near Sheridan Road.
Ramp closures include:
- The westbound I-244 on-ramp from Garnett Rd. through mid-October.
- The westbound I-244 off-ramps to north and southbound US-169 through mid-October. Westbound traffic can follow westbound I-44 at the I-244/I-44 split for access to US-169.
- The eastbound I-244 on-ramp from Memorial Dr. closed until further notice.
- The northbound US-169 ramp to westbound I-244 is narrowed to one lane until further notice.
- The southbound US-169 off-ramp to eastbound I-244 is closed until further notice; use the eastbound I-44 off-ramp as an alternate route.