ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
49°
Clear
H 58° L 41°
  • cloudy-day
    49°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 58° L 41°
  • clear-night
    46°
    Evening
    Clear. H 58° L 41°
  • rain-day
    45°
    Morning
    Few Showers. H 62° L 51°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Two Victory Christian employees, at least 3 possible victims involved in rape, molestation case
Close

Two Victory Christian employees, at least 3 possible victims involved in rape, molestation case

Two Victory Christian employees, at least 3 possible victims involved in rape, molestation case
Photo Credit: Russell Mills

Two Victory Christian employees, at least 3 possible victims involved in rape, molestation case

UPDATE: Victory Christian Center has said it will make a statement Friday afternoon regarding the ongoing investigation into at least two of its employees regarding a reported rape and other allegations of sexual improprieties involving underaged girls. WARNING: This story includes graphic content excerpted from a court document which some might find objectionable.

A Tulsa Police Department detective says the investigation into allegations of rape at Victory Christian Center has widened, and now involves at least two suspects and three victims.

KRMG has confirmed that the charges against Chris Denman, a former employee of Victory, involve two victims.

We have now learned the name of a second possible suspect, who also worked for Victory as an intern.

A search warrant affidavit filed Thursday sought information regarding the employment of  Israel Castillo, as well as that of Chris Denman.

Moreover, Asst. District Attorney Doug Drummond says Denman may face additional charges.

He adds that there is "at least one other person that is being investigated, and once we get the reports, we'll make a filing decision at that time."

He didn't want to quantify exactly how many possible victims have been identified at this point, but did agree the current charges already involve more than one.

"We certainly know about two (victims). If further victims come forward we'll look at them," he added.

However, Det. Smith did confirm the possibility of a third victim.

"There is another person we're looking at that may have been involved in some improper activity, and that would be with a third victim but at this point the charges haven't been filed. We're going to submit our information to the D.A.'s office and they'll review them."

Drummond said it's still too early to determine if any of the staff or administration at Victory Christian might face possible criminal charges related to the apparent failure to report the rapes to police.

Police documents indicate the church knew about at least one of the sexual assaults and failed to report them to police for more than two weeks.

The search warrant affidavit also clearly states Victory employees knew about the girl's account of the rape and failed to report it.

"The staff at Victory Christian Center waited more than two weeks to notify the mothers of the two girls as well as the police," it states.

It goes on to say "the two employees held positions at the church that led to additional contact with young females."

The affidavit does indicate that Human Resource Director Frank Sullivan and Youth Director Paul Willemstein "interviewed both the 15-year-old female and the adult employee" about Facebook messages of an explicit nature exchanged between the two.

It says Sullivan contacted the mother of the 13-year-old Aug. 30 "a few hours after calling police."

"Mr. Sullivan advised (the victim's) mother that her daughter and the employee had a consensual sexual relationship. Mr. Sullivan advised the mother that the employee had been terminated. Mr. Sullivan also informed the mother that the sex between her daughter and the employee occurred on 081312. Mr. Sullivan stated the church conducted an investigation and both (the victim) and the employee admitted to the sexual relationship."

But the story the girl told police the next day, Aug. 31, would indicate that the sex was anything but consensual.

According to the affidavit, she "disclosed that Chris Denman forcibly removed her clothes in a stairwell located near the band room inside Victory Christian Center. That Chris Denman pushed her against a wall and had vaginal intercourse. Mr. Denman then grabbed (her) head forcing her to the ground and made her perform oral sex. (The victim) stated that she bit Mr. Denman's penis during the oral sex and he hit her on the side of her face. (She) stated that the rape occurred on 083112 prior to the church service."

Detectives served the search warrant Thursday, searching Victory Christian Center for evidence and obtaining records of their internal investigation, security tapes, and more.

Also Thursday, the D.A.'s office filed four felonies against Denman. Those charges include rape, forcible sodomy, and using a computer to facilitate a sex crime. Another charge, lewd molestation, involves the second victim, according to court records.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • A fisherman who had to jump into the Columbia River to avoid being crushed in a boating crash has filed a lawsuit against the person who was captaining the other vessel. Clatsop County Sheriff’s Department said that the motor boat driver, Marlin Lee Larsen, 75, was sitting down while driving his boat and that he couldn’t see over the dash when he crashed into the fishing boat that Bryan Maess, 47, and two other friends were on, Oregon Live reported. >> Read more trending news  A GoPro camera captured the crash that happened in August. Christopher McMahon, one of Maess’ friends, waved his arms and yelled, trying to get Larsen’s attention. When that didn’t work, and it was apparent that the larger boat was going to crash into theirs, Maess, McMahon and Roni Durham jumped into the water. Investigators found that if they had not abandoned ship, the friends would have been injured or even killed. Maess, however, was injured by jumping into the water and being hit by debris, including injuries to his ankle, leg and arm, vision problems and headaches. He still wears a knee brace, according to the lawsuit, in which he is suing Larsen for $372,500, Oregon Live reported. McMahon and Durham have not filed suit yet, but have started the process. Both are said to have suffered hypothermia and cuts. Durham claims she has suffered psychological trauma and hasn’t been on a boat since the accident. Larsen’s son-in-law was on the boat driven by Larsen at the time of the crash. He told police that he warned Larsen to pay attention and that he had seen his father-in-law on his cellphone in the past, including the day of, but not at the time of, the accident. Larsen told Oregon Live that he wasn’t using the device while he was driving the boat and that the allegations were “fake news.” He also said that the lawsuit, in his opinion, was not necessary since the other people were not hurt badly. Larsen also has a criminal case filed against him, in which he has pleaded not guilty to reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others, Oregon Live reported.
  • A Michigan tow truck driver working to load a crashed vehicle by another car that lost control in slick conditions. >> Read more trending news On Wednesday morning at 10:30, the tow truck driver was working to load a vehicle that had been involved in a crash onto a truck.  A Michigan State Police officer was behind the tow truck, and on cruiser cam, the officer can be heard asking for another cruiser to block the I-96 on-ramp. A moment later, the cruiser cam captures footage of a car losing control on the ramp, crashing into the tow truck. The tow truck driver was able to run onto the freeway at the last moment, avoiding being crushed by the car. “A trooper was writing a crash that occurred on I-96 in the express lane and this individual came down the ramp from southbound Southfield too fast, lost control of the vehicle and hit the tow truck,’’ Lt. Mike Shaw told The Detroit Free Press. The car that lost control ended up on top of the car that was being loaded. The at-fault driver was cited “for violation of basic speed law, driving too fast for road conditions and violation of Michigan’s emergency vehicle move-over law,’’ Shaw said. Nobody was injured, the Free Press reported.
  • Flight attendants routinely instruct passengers on emergency procedures before a plane takes off, and it is a necessary but tedious monologue. >> Read more trending newsHowever, passengers on an American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Dallas were paying close attention Wednesday, when they were told to brace for impact as their plane made an emergency landing because of mechanical issues. “Keep your heads down,” a flight attendant can be heard on a frightening video filmed by Scottsdale, Arizona, resident Steve Ramsthel. The plane, operated by Mesa Airlines, had some rough moments but managed to land safely at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, KNXV reported. Ramsthel, who is a certified pilot, told KNXV that he could smell smoke on the plane. An airline spokesman confirmed that “a fan issue” prompted the emergency landing. “There were some people crossing themselves, but I thought the adrenaline was high and everybody just cooperated,” Ramsthel told KNXV. 'It was pretty amazing, to be honest with you.” In a statement, American Airlines blamed “mechanical issues stemming from a broken fan,” KNXV reported. There were no injuries, the airline said.
  • It could be said that former NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. has some of the best driving skills ever, having made a living out of going more than 200 miles an hour on some of our country’s toughest racetracks. Yet, with snow involved, Earnhardt got into some trouble while trying to help other people stuck in the weather.>> Read more trending news  “(North Carolina) stay off the roads today/tonight. Five minutes after helping these folks I center punched a pine tree,” Dale shared on his Twitter page on Wednesday shortly after stopping to help some stranded travelers on the road. “All good. Probably just needs a new alignment,” he added. Fans were were thankful Earnhardt was OK, but the tweet didn’t come without some NASCAR jokes.  “Jr. did you attempt to turn right? Gets ya every time,” one Twitter user said. Earnhardt’s accident comes a day after the former NASCAR driver, voted the sport’s most popular driver for 15 consecutive years, announced the day before that he would be covering the Winter Olympics and the Super Bowl in the coming weeks as part of his new deal as a contributor to NBC Sports. Unfortunately, Dale Jr. was not the only driver to find himself in harm’s way thanks to the snow, as NASCAR driver Daniel Suarez found himself stuck in the snow on the side of the road in his sports car Wednesday. Michael Waltrip decided to drive in snowy conditions in North Carolina, and appeared to do so safely in his Ford and later in his Toyota Tundra. Driver Kevin Harvick thought better of it, making the decision to stay in and enjoy the snow off the main roads.
  • Fred Lamar’s 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air sat in a garage, just as he left it, for 30 years. >> Read more trending newsUntil about a year ago, when his grandson, Cameron Dedman, started restoring the iconic Motor City machine. On Saturday, Lamar, 81, nearly passed out when the car was revealed to him. “I have been doing a full frame off restoration of this car a big surprise for my grandpa,” Dedman wrote in a post with the photos of the restored Bel Air. “He’s my best friend and truly deserves it.” Lamar has owned the vehicle since the 1950s. The pair plan to take it to car shows this spring and summer, according to WHAS.