ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
66°
Clear
H 79° L 50°
  • clear-day
    66°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 79° L 50°
  • clear-night
    70°
    Evening
    Clear. H 79° L 50°
  • clear-night
    51°
    Morning
    Mostly Clear. H 81° L 55°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Tulsa Public Schools names new athletic director
Close

Tulsa Public Schools names new athletic director

Tulsa Public Schools names new athletic director
Photo Credit: Tulsa Public Schools
(Photo) Gil Cloud

Tulsa Public Schools names new athletic director

Tulsa Public Schools appointed Gil Cloud as their interim athletic director in February of this year.

His main goal was to help begin righting the ship and then assist in hiring a new AD in about four months time.

It turns out, the best guy for the job was right there in the room the whole time.

Earlier Tuesday, TPS announced that the interim tag has been removed from Cloud's name and he is the new man to head the athletics department.

TPS released the following statement today.

 TULSA, Okla. – Tulsa Public Schools announced today that Acting Athletic Director Gil Cloud will stay on indefinitely as athletic director, at least through the end of the 2012-13 school year. Cloud was hired on an interim basis and assumed his duties on Feb. 7, 2011.

 “A substantial number of well-qualified and diverse applicants were considered for the athletic director position, but we have made the decision to stick with Gil Cloud,” said Kevin Burr, associate superintendent of secondary schools. “Gil has been a stabilizing force in the department, and our preference is to continue moving forward in the direction he is taking us. He is squarely focused on the well-being of students, and how athletics can create an environment for student growth and development. Many qualified individuals applied for the position, however, we feel very strongly that Gil Cloud is our best choice.”

Cloud said, “I am pleased and excited to continue to assist Tulsa Public Schools as Director of Secondary Schools Athletics and Activities. We have good coaches and student athletes and now we must move forward to make their educational and athletics experience the best it can be. We have many opportunities to undertake, and with our community, schools and administrative support we can make a positive impact in our students’ lives.”

 Cloud has previously served as director of athletics for Northeastern State University (Tahlequah), and in a similar role with Upper Iowa University and Arkansas Tech University. He also has experience in high school athletics, having worked as athletic director for Union Public Schools and Guthrie Public Schools. He has previously served as head football coach at McAlester High School, as well as a defensive coach at Kansas State University and Cameron University (Lawton). Prior to joining TPS, Cloud was president of Premier Collegiate Consulting, LLC, providing consulting services to colleges, universities and public schools.

 Burr also thanked the members of the athletic director search advisory committee:

 

Stephen Mayfield, executive assistant to the associate superintendent for secondary schools;

  • Stacey Vernon, principal, Will Rogers College High School;
  • Micheal Parish, head boy’s basketball coach, Edison Preparatory High School;
  • Mike Mims, assistant principal, Booker T. Washington High School; and,
  • community members Dave Rader, Thad Leonard and Bob Hurley.

“The advisory council did a tremendous job helping with the search for Tulsa Public Schools’ newest athletic director,” Burr said. “The group has met regularly since early March and helped interview the finalists for the position in mid April. Without them, the decision would have been much more difficult.”

Please visit the TPS website at www.tulsaschools.org for additional information and updates. 

 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • A day after seemingly endorsing a legislative effort in Congress to formally approve money for insurance companies that would pay for health insurance subsidies for certain consumers, President Donald Trump indicated on Wednesday that while he backed the idea of bipartisan negotiations related to the Obama health law, he did not support a deal on “Cost Sharing Reduction” payments, . “If something can happen that’s fine,” Mr. Trump told reporters at a White House photo op, as he made clear that he wants to stop insurance subsidy payments that go to health insurers. “I won’t do anything to enrich the insurance companies,” the President said. “They’ve been enriched by Obamacare like nothing anyone has ever seen before.” I am supportive of Lamar as a person & also of the process, but I can never support bailing out ins co's who have made a fortune w/ O'Care. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 18, 2017 Pres. Trump on subsidies deal: 'If something can happen, that's fine. But I won't do anything to enrich the insurance companies.' pic.twitter.com/iNPy5IwgAD — ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) October 18, 2017 The statements left lawmakers on Capitol Hill wondering whether Mr. Trump would help push the plan through the Congress, or if it would galvanize more conservative opponents, as in less than 24 hours, the President had gone from supportive, to mildly unimpressed, to seemingly opposed to the plan. “He called Murray-Alexander deal a very good solution,” said Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer. “Now this morning, he says he can’t support it.” “He keeps zigging and zagging,” Schumer complained in a frustrated, and almost exasperated tone on the floor of the Senate, as he urged the President to be consistent when it comes to legislation in Congress. “Our only hope is, maybe tomorrow, he’ll be for this again,” Schumer added. It would *appear* there is a lot of confusion over Trump and the White House's stance on Alexander-Murray bill. — Joseph (@JoePWilliams31) October 18, 2017 As the President pinballed back and forth on the Senate CSR payments deal, it wasn’t clear what the Congress might do on the matter, as conservative groups urged GOP leaders not to accept the plan, saying it only tweaks the Obama health law, and not in a good way. “This is a bailout for health insurance companies,” the group Freedom Works said in a morning news release. Health insurance experts were still debating the Senate plan, unsure of all of its impacts, especially since there was no final bill draft at this point – and no plan for any vote on it, either.
  • Bill Murray can, and will, do almost anything. He’s crashed bachelor parties, appeared in engagement photos and sets his own schedule when it comes to interviews and projects.But recently he helped a couple make one of the biggest announcements of their lives. And it happened during a Chicago Cubs playoff game. >> Read more trending news  Murray helped Robbie and Kristen Schloss tell their parents that they’re going to be grandparents. It all happened in the seats behind home plate during the Oct. 9 game between the Cubs and Nationals, the “Today” show reported. The Schloss’s were sitting next to Murray and were talking throughout the game.  Murray is known to be a huge fan of the Cubs and even sang “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” during the seventh-inning stretch, SB Nation reported. The Cubs beat the Nationals in that game 2-1. They went on to take the series 3 games to 2 and advance to the National League Championship Series to face off against the Dodgers.
  • Parents in Walpole are not happy over what they call a controversial decision to endat Boyden Elementary School. According to parents, one concern principal Brendan Dearborn raised was that the parade isn’t inclusive of all students and their beliefs. “That's the part that especially the parents and the students are having a hard time understanding,” parent Julie Lowre said. “We have numerous events not all inclusive, so if you cancel one event you have to cancel them all.” However, Dearborn also cited security concerns in his decision to cancel the parade, and parents told Boston 25 News reporter Kathryn Burcham they support that reasoning, “It's not my decision to make, it's decision for someone who has authority, who knows the issues more than I do,” Charissa Kaselis, a member of the Parent Advisory Council, said. Kaselis says the school is open to parents, friends and visitors during the parade, which leaves the children vulnerable. “Anybody might be able to come in, that's the scariest part of it,” she said. The students will still be able to celebrate this Friday with an after-school party. Boston 25 News reached out to the Superintendent’s Office multiple times but did not receive a response.
  • Search and rescue efforts in California's Joshua Tree National Park to the . They are believed to be Joseph Orbeso, 21, and Rachel Nguyen, 20. >> Watch the news report here According to KESQ and KABC, the couple was last heard from in late July, and search teams later located their car near the beginning of one of the park’s trails. Their last known contact was a cellphone ping in the area, and their belongings were found still inside the Airbnb they were renting, as they never checked out. >> On Rare.us: Watch the amazing moment hikers lost in the wilderness are found by a drone hovering high above the trees Orbeso’s father, Gilbert, and a group of search and rescue workers launched a months-long search for the hikers, making a huge breakthrough on Sunday as they scaled 30-foot cliffs and covered new ground. Clothing, food wrappers and water bottles led them to the bodies, which were picked up by a helicopter and sent to a coroner’s office to confirm the identities. Orbeso’s father, however, is certain that the remains belong to his son and his son’s girlfriend. >> Read more trending news “A sense of relief that we have found them after going a long time on these hikes. I feel like we have closure. We know we found them. That was our main goal, to find them. And I’m glad we did that,” he said, according to KESQ. 'Hope they can rest in peace now,' he added, KABC reported. Official identification of the remains is pending and will follow completed autopsies.
  • Congress passed the Real ID Act in 2005, but Oklahoma still has yet to issue licenses or identification cards that are compliant with that law. October 10th, another deadline passed for the state to bring itself into accordance with Real ID, but as things stand today it appears unlikely that will happen before roughly 2020. Randy Rogers, Legislative Liaison with the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, tells KRMG the good news is that latest deadline came with a grace period, which doesn’t expire until January 22nd, 2018. So Oklahomans will still be able to board airplanes or enter secure federal facilities, such as military bases, using a state driver’s license or ID as proof of identity. Between now and January 22nd, Rogers said, it’s expected that the Department of Homeland Security will issue Oklahoma another extension, because the state has shown it is in the process of becoming compliant with the law. State lawmakers passed a bill in February of this year directing the DPS to issue Real ID compliant licenses to Oklahomans, while giving citizens the option to get non-compliant identification cards or driver’s licenses instead. That moves comes 10 years after the legislature passed a bill expressly forbidding the state to comply with the Real ID Act. Because Oklahoma has dragged its feet so long, federal funds that were available to help the state with the transition are no longer available.