Nearly 40 children and adults were not feeling well today as Tulsa Public School students were on a field trip at the Tulsa County Jail.
The classes from Bell Elementary were complaining of feeling faint or weak.
Tulsa Fire Captain Alan Barnes tells KRMG an initial reading showed carbon monoxide but two subsequent readings showed nothing including an evening sweep through the facility.
"It could have been the first meter was inaccurate since their HVA system is heated and chilled water, we were trying to eliminate sources such as storm drains, sanitary drains because you can get H2S, CO and methane from those sources as well,” said Barnes.
He tells us we may never know the exact source of the problem but one question has been answered, "I have ruled out that the David L. Moss Correctional Center was the source of any CO and that was my primary concern."
Barnes says the Haz-Mat unit even tested the school bus used to transport the students and ruled it out too.
"What we have not ruled out is exposure before they got out here. We also have not ruled out bad breakfast this morning at school and that is going to be for someone else other than me,” says Barnes.
We also learned that some of the children had, what Barnes described as recordable signs of carbon monoxide, in their blood stream but he added you can get that just by being around second-hand smoke.
We also understand there were several jail employees who reported not feeling well during the incident and one possibility for that is the heat and anxiety after evacuating the building got to them during the ordeal, although officials haven’t said that yet.