A Tulane football player injured Saturday in the game against Tulsa is alert and responding to his family and doctors.
Devon Walker is at St. Francis Hospital after a head-to-head crash with another Tulane teammate.
Walker and the second player were making a tackle when their helmets hit.
Doctors say he suffered a fracture to his cervical spine which is at the top of the spinal column near the skull.
Walker had surgery on Sunday.
University of Tulsa Director of Athletics Rick Dickson says it’s too early to draw conclusions about Walker’s progress.
Dickson says you never want to see anything like Walker’s case happen, but if it does and it can’t happen in Tulane’s backyard then he is glad it happened in Dickson’s hometown of Tulsa.
He read a statement from Devon’s parents Inez and Booker Walker who expressed sincere thanks and appreciation for the support and prayers.
The parents also posted this note to the public on the web page Monday afternoon:
"We have been overwhelmed by the amount of concerned well wishes we have received from all over the world. Although we cannot respond individually to all, we thank everyone for the love and support shown to Devon and our family. The medical care that our son has received so far has been outstanding. We are also very grateful for the care and concern shown to us by those here at Tulsa University, in the City of Tulsa, at Tulane University and of course by everyone at home in New Orleans. We appreciate you respecting our family's request for privacy. We do ask that you continue to keep Devon in your prayers."
- The University of Tulsa has established a fund to help Devon Walker’s family while he is hospitalized in Tulsa.
- You can make a financial contribution by sending a check made payable to The University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane Club with “Devon Walker Fund” noted in the memo line. These funds will be used to benefit Devon’s family and help alleviate their expenses during their stay in Tulsa.
- You can also drop off a check at the TU Athletic Director’s Office in Mabee Gym at the corner of East 8th Street and South Florence Avenue or mailed to The University of Tulsa, Attn: Golden Hurricane Club, 800 S. Tucker Drive, Tulsa, OK 74104.
- Outside Tulsa, Tulane University has set up a website in support of Devon and his family. Financial assistance and get-well messages may be submitted at http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/.
- Donations also can be made to The College Football Assistance Fund in support of Devon by visiting www.CFAFund.org. CFAF is a nonprofit organization dedicated to support those who have sustained serious injuries through college football.
Tulane University also suggests that well-wishers send cards to:
Tulane University, Attn: Devon Walker, 215 Gibson Hall, 6823 Saint Charles, New Orleans, LA 70118