ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
48°
Cloudy
H 57° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    48°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 57° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    56°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 57° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    55°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 60° L 51°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Tulane player responsive, alert after spinal injury surgery in Tulsa
Close

Tulane player responsive, alert after spinal injury surgery in Tulsa

Tulane player responsive, alert after spinal injury surgery in Tulsa
Tulane player seriously injured during Tulsa game

Tulane player responsive, alert after spinal injury surgery in Tulsa

A Tulane football player injured Saturday in the game against Tulsa is alert and responding to his family and doctors.

Devon Walker is at St. Francis Hospital after a head-to-head crash with another Tulane teammate.

Walker and the second player were making a tackle when their helmets hit.

Doctors say he suffered a fracture to his cervical spine which is at the top of the spinal column near the skull.

Walker had surgery on Sunday.

University of Tulsa Director of Athletics Rick Dickson says it’s too early to draw conclusions about Walker’s progress.

Dickson says you never want to see anything like Walker’s case happen, but if it does and it can’t happen in Tulane’s backyard then he is glad it happened in Dickson’s hometown of Tulsa.

He read a statement from Devon’s parents Inez and Booker Walker who expressed sincere thanks and appreciation for the support and prayers.

The parents also posted this note to the public on the web page Monday afternoon:

"We have been overwhelmed by the amount of concerned well wishes we have received from all over the world. Although we cannot respond individually to all, we thank everyone for the love and support shown to Devon and our family. The medical care that our son has received so far has been outstanding. We are also very grateful for the care and concern shown to us by those here at Tulsa University, in the City of Tulsa, at Tulane University and of course by everyone at home in New Orleans. We appreciate you respecting our family's request for privacy. We do ask that you continue to keep Devon in your prayers."

Devon Walker Support Page

  • The University of Tulsa has established a fund to help Devon Walker’s family while he is hospitalized in Tulsa.
  • You can make a financial contribution by sending a check made payable to The University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane Club with “Devon Walker Fund” noted in the memo line. These funds will be used to benefit Devon’s family and help alleviate their expenses during their stay in Tulsa.
  • You can also drop off a check at the TU Athletic Director’s Office in Mabee Gym at the corner of East 8th Street and South Florence Avenue or mailed to The University of Tulsa, Attn: Golden Hurricane Club, 800 S. Tucker Drive, Tulsa, OK 74104.
  • Outside Tulsa, Tulane University has set up a website in support of Devon and his family. Financial assistance and get-well messages may be submitted at http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/.
  • Donations also can be made to The College Football Assistance Fund in support of Devon by visiting www.CFAFund.org. CFAF is a nonprofit organization dedicated to support those who have sustained serious injuries through college football.

Tulane University also suggests that well-wishers send cards to:

Tulane University, Attn: Devon Walker, 215 Gibson Hall, 6823 Saint Charles, New Orleans, LA 70118
Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • Prosecutors say a 10-year-old was killed by his friend with a crossbow last fall in Lincoln County. On Friday, KRMG learned that the 13-year-old teen has been charged with first-degree murder. Investigators say 10-year-old Austin Almanza was fatally struck by an arrow, which traveled through his body and then pierced his 8-year-old brother in the arm. Prosecutors charged the 13-year-old boy as an adult, making him one of the youngest ever in the state to be charged as an adult with first-degree murder. At a hearing Thursday, a judge ordered a psychological evaluation of the boy to determine how his case should be handled in the future.
  • Reinforcing its strong connection with social conservatives, the Trump administration announced Thursday a new federal office to protect medical providers refusing to participate in abortion, assisted suicide or other procedures on moral or religious grounds. Leading Democrats and LGBT groups immediately denounced the move, saying “conscience protections” could become a license to discriminate, particularly against gay and transgender people. The announcement by the Department of Health and Human Services came a day ahead of the annual march on Washington by abortion opponents, who will be addressed via video link by President Donald Trump. HHS put on a formal event in the department’s Great Hall, with Republican lawmakers and activists for conscience protections as invited speakers. The religious and conscience division will be part of the HHS Office for Civil Rights, which enforces federal anti-discrimination and privacy laws. Officials said it will focus on upholding protections already part of federal law. Violations can result in a service provider losing government funding. No new efforts to expand such protections were announced, but activists on both sides expect the administration will try to broaden them in the future.
  • A fisherman who had to jump into the Columbia River to avoid being crushed in a boating crash has filed a lawsuit against the person who was captaining the other vessel. Clatsop County Sheriff’s Department said that the motor boat driver, Marlin Lee Larsen, 75, was sitting down while driving his boat and that he couldn’t see over the dash when he crashed into the fishing boat that Bryan Maess, 47, and two other friends were on, Oregon Live reported. >> Read more trending news  A GoPro camera captured the crash that happened in August. Christopher McMahon, one of Maess’ friends, waved his arms and yelled, trying to get Larsen’s attention. When that didn’t work, and it was apparent that the larger boat was going to crash into theirs, Maess, McMahon and Roni Durham jumped into the water. Investigators found that if they had not abandoned ship, the friends would have been injured or even killed. Maess, however, was injured by jumping into the water and being hit by debris, including injuries to his ankle, leg and arm, vision problems and headaches. He still wears a knee brace, according to the lawsuit, in which he is suing Larsen for $372,500, Oregon Live reported. McMahon and Durham have not filed suit yet, but have started the process. Both are said to have suffered hypothermia and cuts. Durham claims she has suffered psychological trauma and hasn’t been on a boat since the accident. Larsen’s son-in-law was on the boat driven by Larsen at the time of the crash. He told police that he warned Larsen to pay attention and that he had seen his father-in-law on his cellphone in the past, including the day of, but not at the time of, the accident. Larsen told Oregon Live that he wasn’t using the device while he was driving the boat and that the allegations were “fake news.” He also said that the lawsuit, in his opinion, was not necessary since the other people were not hurt badly. Larsen also has a criminal case filed against him, in which he has pleaded not guilty to reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others, Oregon Live reported.
  • A Michigan tow truck driver working to load a crashed vehicle by another car that lost control in slick conditions. >> Read more trending news On Wednesday morning at 10:30, the tow truck driver was working to load a vehicle that had been involved in a crash onto a truck.  A Michigan State Police officer was behind the tow truck, and on cruiser cam, the officer can be heard asking for another cruiser to block the I-96 on-ramp. A moment later, the cruiser cam captures footage of a car losing control on the ramp, crashing into the tow truck. The tow truck driver was able to run onto the freeway at the last moment, avoiding being crushed by the car. “A trooper was writing a crash that occurred on I-96 in the express lane and this individual came down the ramp from southbound Southfield too fast, lost control of the vehicle and hit the tow truck,’’ Lt. Mike Shaw told The Detroit Free Press. The car that lost control ended up on top of the car that was being loaded. The at-fault driver was cited “for violation of basic speed law, driving too fast for road conditions and violation of Michigan’s emergency vehicle move-over law,’’ Shaw said. Nobody was injured, the Free Press reported.
  • The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday announced that it would hear argument on the third version of President Donald Trump’s travel and refugee plan, which would limit visits to the United States by people from certain Muslim-majority nations, and slow down the number of refugees accepted into the country. Arguments will take place in April, with a ruling expected by the end of June, instantly making this into one of the more important cases of the High Court’s term. “We look forward to the Court’s review of this important case,” said lawyer Neal Katyal, who has represented the state of Hawaii in its efforts to block the travel order. Supreme Court adds travel ban case to its busy agenda. Argument in April to include statutory, constitutional questions. #SCOTUS — Mark Sherman (@shermancourt) January 19, 2018 Like earlier versions of the travel order, this one has become hung up in legal fights in the courts, though the Supreme Court ruled in December that the Trump Administration could enforce the ban while appeals are underway. A federal appeals court in San Francisco – the Ninth Circuit – struck down the travel ban last month. There is also a separate challenge against the President’s travel order going before the Fourth Circuit. The Supreme Court has just agreed to hear #HawaiivsTrump, our challenge to Trump's travel ban. We look forward to the Court's review of this important case. @realdonaldtrump, see you in Court. — Neal Katyal (@neal_katyal) January 19, 2018 The plan limits travel from Yemen, Syria, Chad, Libya, Iran, and Somalia. In addition to the QPs in the govt's petition (below), #SCOTUS has added the following: Does the travel ban violate the Establishment Clause? pic.twitter.com/PjwjLEPioL — Kimberly Robinson (@KimberlyRobinsn) January 19, 2018