You've always heard smoking is bad for your health and now here's more proof.
The young man was on his way to find the animals he wanted to splatter when he had a bit of an accident.
He had put the makings for a homemade bomb in his pocket as he and a friend made their way to the area where they knew they could find turtles.
Police in Houston describe the explosive as a combustible mixture along with cartridges to ignite the material.
The mistake came when he lit a cigar as they walked and some ashes fell into his pocket.
You know the rest.
When the little explosive went boom it severely burned the boy’s lower body, hand and face.
No charges have been filed or arrests made in the case.
No turtles were harmed.