ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
60°
Overcast
H 63° L 52°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Overcast. H 63° L 52°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    74°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 83° L 62°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    79°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 83° L 62°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Oklahoma State upsets #2 Kansas in Lawrence

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - Markel Brown let out a roar. Marcus Smart did a cart-wheel and a back flip.

Travis Ford exhaled for the first time all game.

After establishing a big first-half lead, Oklahoma State watched it all melt away Saturday. But in one of the rare instances of a team refusing to lose at intimidating Allen Fieldhouse, Brown and Smart managed to hold things together down the stretch against second-ranked Kansas.

Together, they helped the Cowboys pull out an 85-80 victory that ended the Jayhawks' nation-leading 18-game winning streak - and their 33-game streak at the Phog, too.

"We just beat one of the top teams in the country, and a great team at that," said Smart, who had seven of his 25 points in the closing minutes. "It's hard for teams to come into their home court and get a victory. We're one of the few teams that have done it. We couldn't believe it."

That may account for his impromptu gymnastics.

"I was so ecstatic about the victory," the freshman said, "it just came to me to do it."

Brown finished with 28 points for the Cowboys (15-5, 5-3 Big 12), who hadn't beaten a top-5 team on the road since knocking off the Jayhawks on Jan. 2, 1958.

Oklahoma State stunned the Jayhawks by building a 14-point lead in the first half, but Kansas had pulled ahead 64-60 on a 3-pointer by Naadir Tharpe midway through the second half.

The Jayhawks still led by six when Phil Forte hit a 3-pointer from the wing with 4:15 left to begin a 13-2 charge, allowing Oklahoma State to seize control.

The Cowboys' stretched the lead to 77-69 with 50 seconds remaining, but the Jayhawks (19-2, 7-1) managed to play savvy defense and take advantage of a couple missed free throws. Andrew White III's 3-pointer made it 78-75, and his free throw made it 78-76 with 36 seconds left in the game.

Forte, an 89-percent foul shooter, made two at the line to restore a cushion, and White answered with two of his own. Smart added a free throw, and Johnson's layup cut the Cowboys' lead to 81-80.

Forte calmly made two more free throws with 7.9 seconds remaining, and Johnson turned the ball over near mid-court before Kansas could even get up a tying 3-point attempt. Forte got ahold of the ball and laid it in at the buzzer to punctuate the victory.

"This place here, it's one of the greatest environments in college basketball, against a great basketball team," said Ford, who had been 1-5 in his coaching career against Kansas. "We figured a way out to score a few points. Really proud of our effort."

Forte finished with 11 points for the Cowboys, all of them in the second half.

Ben McLemore had 23 points to lead Kansas. Kevin Young added 12 and Jeff Withey had 10 as the Jayhawks lost at home to Oklahoma State for the first time since Feb. 8, 1989.

"We haven't played good in three weeks or whatever," said Jayhawks coach Bill Self, who lost for only eighth time in 165 games at Allen Fieldhouse. "When you don't play well, you have to defend and rebound, and we didn't do that worth a crap today. We got what we deserved."

Johnson's turnover in the closing seconds was the 16th of the game for the sloppy Jayhawks. They also had 16 earlier in the week, when they struggled to get past West Virginia.

"We don't have a guard," Self said despondently. "We don't have a point guard."

Having one sure would have helped in the first half.

That's when the Cowboys took control with a 19-3 run, taking advantage of the Jayhawks' lousy offense while getting the ball in the hands of Brown, who had 11 points during the surge.

"We had to come out, punch them in the mouth and not let the crowd get into it," Brown said.

By the time Brown was fouled by Johnson and converted the three-point play with 10:58 left in the half, Oklahoma State had a 26-12 lead - the largest by anybody against the Jayhawks all season.

Kansas eventually went on an 11-3 run of its own to get back into the game, but Brown delivered another 3-pointer out of a timeout and Oklahoma State managed to maintain a 40-34 lead at the break.

Brown finished the first half with 22 points, just two off his season high. The junior guard was 7 of 10 from the field, 5 of 7 from the arc and even had a couple assists.

Brown hit another 3 out of halftime before Kansas finally started to execute.

McLemore led the way with 11 points during a 16-4, momentum-changing run. Twice he finished off alley-oops from Johnson, and his lay-in with 13:23 left gave Kansas a 50-47 lead.

Smart and Brown refused to let the Cowboys wilt, though.

Smart, who considered Kansas before signing with the Cowboys, scored back-to-back baskets, and Forte finally scored after missing his first eight field-goal attempts. Brown then hit his seventh 3-pointer, pulling Oklahoma State within 59-58 with just over 8 minutes left in the game.

Forte added his first 3 moments later, and Michael Cobbins followed up a miss by Forte with a massive dunk that allowed the Cowboys to regain a 67-66 lead with 3:45 remaining.

"They got the best of us, definitely, on offensive rebounds," Withey said.

Le'Bryan Nash, who had struggled all gam, beat the shot clock with a jumper with 2:40 left that gave Oklahoma State a 69-68 lead. And despite some tense moments down the stretch, they did enough on defense and at the foul line to hang on for a signature victory.

"It's a big win, winning at Kansas. That's one of the biggest wins of our season right now," Nash said. "It was a good win, but we still want more." 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • Two days after the FBI Director confirmed that an investigation was underway into election meddling by Russia and any ties to the Trump Campaign, the Republican Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee announced that U.S. Intelligence had legally monitored actions of the Trump transition, and maybe even some communications of Mr. Trump himself. Here is what we know: 1. What is in this new information? House Intelligence Chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) said he had been provided with raw intelligence intercepts which showed information related to President-Elect Trump and members of the Trump Transition team. Nunes would not identify who had provided him with the information, which he seemed to indicate came through regular channels, possibly by a whistle blower inside the U.S. Intelligence Community – it just wasn’t clear. But what was clear was that he took the information to President Trump and the White House before telling his committee, and Democratic members on that panel. Whoa. At presser, Nunes just revealed IC collected info about Americans associated w/ the Trump transition team—separate from Russia probe. — Eric Geller (@ericgeller) March 22, 2017 2. Nunes: It has nothing to do with Russia. One puzzling part of the dramatic announcement by Nunes was that the subject matter did not relate to the probe into election meddling by Russia in 2016, or ties between Russia and the Trump Campaign. If that indeed is the case, then the communications monitored by U.S. Intelligence must have been focused on some other foreign intelligence targets which were being monitored by the United States. Was it other nations that are on the radar of U.S. Intelligence? Certain foreigners who are the target of a criminal investigation? It wasn’t clear. Rep. Devin Nunes: The reports I've seen 'did not have anything to do with Russia or the Russia investigation” https://t.co/sCYhWJArgW — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) March 22, 2017 3. What is incidental collection? Is it legal? This is one of those bureaucratic phrases that sounds complicated, but really isn’t. First, incidental collection of an American during a wiretap of a foreigner is totally legal. In this situation (as described by Nunes), officials of the Trump Transition – or maybe even the President-Elect at the time – could have been in contact with foreign persons who are under surveillance. When that happens, that is known as “incidental collection.” While there are rules on how that is dealt with, just because a U.S. citizen appears on a wiretap involving a foreigner does not mean that U.S. Intelligence suddenly stops listening. Nunes said the intercepts showed that information with no intelligence value was circulated widely inside the Intelligence Community. Rep. Devin Nunes: The reports I've seen 'did not have anything to do with Russia or the Russia investigation” https://t.co/sCYhWJArgW — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) March 22, 2017 4. Democrats hit the roof. Democrats were outraged by the Nunes move, immediately saying that it raises questions about how Nunes could lead a bipartisan review of the election interference charges against Russia. The Top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, Rep. Adam Schiff (R-CA) expressed his displeasure in a statement, and at his own news conference. “You don’t take information that the committee hasn’t seen and present it orally to the press and the White House, before the committee has a chance to even vet whether it is significant.” Rep. Adam Schiff: “This is not how you conduct an investigation” https://t.co/J6dJQWqV9d https://t.co/IMLTAxmn5p — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) March 22, 2017 5. New calls for an independent probe on Russia. The dustup over the Nunes announcement opened a new door for Democrats to demand an independent investigation of the issue of Russian meddling in the 2016 elections, as Democrats have long been suspicious of Nunes, who was a member of the Trump Transition team. “Unfortunately, I think the actions of today throw great doubt into the ability of both the Chairman and the committee to conduct the investigation the way it ought to be conducted,” Schiff said at his own news conference. Schiff says Nunes needs to decide if he is Chair of independent oversight committee or surrogate for the White House https://t.co/5AaB4kTNjI — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) March 22, 2017 6. More partisan elbows from both sides. It didn’t take long for both parties to weigh in, for and against Nunes. “The unprecedented comments of Chairman Nunes are an act of diversion and desperation,” said House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, who labeled the Nunes brief of President Trump, “highly irregular conduct.” On the other side, the statements were just as pointed. “The Chairman’s statements today detailing the incidental collection and dissemination of the Presidential transition team’s communications is highly concerning,” said Rep. Mike Turner (R-OH). I used to deal with FISA SIGINT all the time. That's some seriously compartmented stuff, folks. I am still in shock about Nunes' disclosure. — John Schindler (@20committee) March 22, 2017 7. White House welcomes Nunes information. After taking all sorts of flak for claiming that he had been wiretapped by President Obama, President Trump and his aides found themselves with some new ammunition in their arguments about how U.S. Intelligence has treated Mr. Trump. Press Secretary Sean Spicer told reporters that the Nunes information was a “startling revelation.” The President – who has routinely ignored questions about his Twitter wiretap claims – was more than happy to give a quote to the TV cameras, saying it made him feel vindicated. President Trump on if he feels vindicated by Rep. Devin Nunes’ comments: “I somewhat do” https://t.co/5WJCX615rG — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) March 22, 2017 This could well boil over again next week, when the House Intelligence Committee holds a second public hearing about Russia on Tuesday, March 28.
  • When Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler talks about the Latwon Goff investigation, one can hear the frustration in his voice. Goff made the list of Tulsa’s Most Wanted at the age of 16 for a string of armed robberies. He was caught, arrested, and convicted after entering guilty pleas on eight counts in February of 2015. But shortly after he turned 18, and under Oklahoma law as a youthful offender, he received a judicial review of his case. That’s when Tulsa District Judge Sharon Holmes, acting on the advice of the Office of Juvenile Affairs, ordered that his guilty pleas be expunged, that he be allowed to change those pleas to not guilty, and that the charges against him be dismissed. And that, according to Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler, came as something of a shock. “To just somehow think that he magically changed what was probably a lifetime of bad decisions, I just found it hard to comprehend that we can just take the word of somebody like that, and cut somebody like that loose without any monitoring,” he told KRMG Wednesday. Goff was arrested after a pursuit in Tulsa Wednesday on suspicion of two armed robberies earlier in the day. But police were already looking for him in connection with a murder in Dallas. Investigators there named him as a suspect in the killing of Jason Eli Edwards, 39, in February. That was just two months after Judge Holmes ordered his release. [CLICK HERE to see the online court records of Goff’s 2015 case] But apparently it didn’t take him even that long to find more trouble. He reportedly told Tulsa detectives he committed an armed robbery within four hours of his release from custody last December. Kunzweiler tells KRMG his office argued strenously against turning Goff loose. “Of course now, he’s accused of committing a horrible offense,” Kunzweiler said. “If he is in fact the person responsible for the death of that person, our system up here failed that family.” He added that he will work with prosecutors in Dallas to determine the best course of action now that Goff faces charges in both jurisdictions.
  • A Hollywood screenwriter has filed a federal lawsuit accusing Walt Disney Pictures off ripping off his idea for last year’s blockbuster film “Zootopia.” Gary L. Goldman, known for his work on “Total Recall” in both 1990 and 2012, “Minority Report” and “Big Trouble in Little China, alleged in the suit filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles that Disney copied a franchise he pitched to the studio in 2000 and 2009.  Disney denied the allegations in a statement, calling the lawsuit “riddled with patently false allegations.” “It is an unprincipled attempt to lay claim to a successful film he didn’t create, and we will vigorously defend against it in court,” Disney said. Goldman said in the lawsuit that he pitched Disney the idea for “Zootopia” about a society of animals exploring life in America. He included drawings in the suit that show a remarkable similarity between the animated characters he said he presented to Disney and the characters Disney used in the film. He also listed in the suit other films he contends Disney stole including “The Lion King,” “Toy Story” and “Monsters, Inc.” It’s unclear what kind of compensation Goldman may be seeking from Disney, but box office analyst comScore reported “Zootopia” made more than $341 million in domestic ticket sales.
  • A Michigan State University student has received dozens of phone calls after creating and sharing a dating resume. Joey Adams, 21, was inspired to make the resume after asking out a girl who eventually rejected him, the Lansing State Journal reported. 'She asked if I had a dating resume,' he said. 'I didn't have one, so she told me no.' Adams shared his dating resume online last week after a woman posted on the university's class of 2018 Facebook page saying her roommate needed a date for a formal. The resume included hobbies and what he looks for in a romantic partner. Adams said it started as a joke, but the resume rapidly gained popularity. Less than a week later, Adams has been featured on BuzzFeed and 'Good Morning America.' There's also been a growing push through social media to have Adams on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show.' 'It's been a cool experience, and my mom is really loving it,' he said. Adams has since been invited to several formals in and around Lansing, some of which he plans to attend. The college junior says the phone calls are 'overwhelming,' especially during midterms week. 'I'm wishing things would go back to normal even though I know it won't happen soon,' he said. 'But for now I'm just having fun riding the wave.
  • We repeat, new emojis are on the way. Many people get very excited about new emoji, which in case you don't know, are the little smiley faces and other such pictographs people use in text messages. According to Emojipedia, they'll be released in June, but might take longer to show up on some operating systems, depending on when those are updated. Word is there will be 56 new ones, including a giraffe, a rock climber, a bearded man, a face with a monocle, and a face making the shush gesture with its finger, among others. What emoji do you think you need in your life? Send us an open mic on the KRMG app and tell us. Click here to see the full list of possible new emojis.