The Pew Research Center’s annual “State of the Media” report says that opinionated programming is 85% of MSNBC’s programming leaving just 15% as what they call “factual reporting”.
It goes on to say that Fox News had opinion 55% of the time, and straight news the other 45%.
CNN was the only network identified in the study where traditional reporting outweighed commentary, coming in at 54% of content.
The report analyzed a large sample of weekday programming during the first five months of 2007 and 2012. That sample included a half-hour sample of afternoon programming, along with the first 30 minutes of many of the general news-focused programs during the evening.
For the first five months of 2012, Pew Research analyzed 6,472 stories over the course of 267 hours of cable programming.