ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
85°
Sunny
H 101° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 101° L 76°
  • clear-day
    97°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 101° L 76°
  • clear-day
    98°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 101° L 76°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Man ruled incompetent in child rape case arrested again
Close

Man ruled incompetent in child rape case arrested again

Man ruled incompetent in child rape case arrested again

Man ruled incompetent in child rape case arrested again

A McAlester man arrested in March for raping a five-year-old girl is back behind bars, though a judge initially ruled him incompetent to stand trial and released him.

Bruce Lee Montes, 25, was jailed this week on complaints of first-degree rape and lewd or indecent acts to a child under 16.

He remains behind bars on a $150,000 bond, according to court records.

Police initially arrested Montes in March after the victim told an adult she had been molested.

The girl's mother named Montes as a possible suspect.

But in November, a competency hearing was held and a judge ruled that Montes is incompetent, and unable to attain competency.

He is reportedly developmentally challenged.

Montes was also arrested in 2006 and charged with molestation and lewd acts committed against three children ages 13 and under.

That case was dismissed, but online court records don't indicate why.

District 18 District Attorney Farley Ward reportedly learned of the November dismissal from a local newspaper, and successfully argued for a reevaluation of the judge's ruling.

He tells KRMG that the Assistant D.A. on the case wasn't aware that he should object to the dismissal, and move for Montes to be committed to a mental health facility for treatment until such a time as he was deemed competent.

Barring Montes achieving competence, he would be held in the facility indefinitely.

Dec. 20, the judge reversed the ruling and ordered Montes back to jail.

He has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Jan. 3.

Ward says that at that point, Montes should be committed to the mental health facility as should have happened originally.

He added that there's no reason to believe Montes committed any crimes during the time he was free.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • Multiple children are lucky to be okay, after reportedly getting locked inside a vehicle on Friday.   EMSA tells us, witnesses at the scene spotted the children.   “The latest call, at the Aldi’s grocery store at 82nd street and South Olympia Avenue, included three children – reported to be one infant and two toddlers - locked in a car,” EMSA said.  “A caller called 911 and waited at the scene to wave down emergency responders. The patients were assessed at the scene and were not transported to a hospital.” No word on who drove the children to the store or why they were left inside.   As of 8 p.m. Friday, EMSA crews had responded to eight suspected heat-related calls.  Saturday could be even hotter, so please stay safe.
  • Saturday will be perfect for staying close to your air conditioner or making friends with somebody who owns a pool. National Weather Service Meteorologist Chuck Hodges says we have another scorcher ahead of us. “Another hot one for Saturday,” Hodges said.  “Sunny skies and it looks like the high temperature will be around 102, 103 degrees.” There is an Excessive Heat Warning in effect for Tulsa and surrounding counties until 8 p.m. NWS reports we’ll see more high temperatures on Sunday.  The sun will come back out and the high should be near 100 degrees.   There is also a small chance for storms on Sunday, during the afternoon hours.  
  • O.J. Simpson plans to return to Florida when he’s released from prison in Nevada, but where are the rest of the players from the Trial of the Century? The Washington Post says the cast of characters includes prosecutor Marcia Clark, who now writes murder mysteries. Judge Lance Ito is now retired. Simpson’s lead defense attorney Johnnie Cochran died in 2005. Prosecutor Christopher Darden now has his own law firm as a defense and civil litigation attorney. But the paper says famed defense lawyer F. Lee Bailey has probably fared the worst. The now 83-year-old was disbarred and filed for bankruptcy after a string of scandals and runs a small consulting business above a hair salon in Maine. You can read more about the story here.
  • An Excessive Heat Warning means we’re experiencing a prolonged period of dangerously hot temperatures. The National Weather Service office in Tulsa issued the warning for Tulsa and surrounding counties until 8pm Saturday.  High temperatures ranging in the mid-90s to around 103 degrees be back tomorrow afternoon. Forecasters say the combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will create a dangerous situation where heat illnesses are likely.  Drink plenty of fluids and stay in an air conditioned room.  Stay out of the sun and check up on relatives and neighbors.  When in the car, don’t forget to check the back seat for pets and children before you leave. Temperatures inside a car can become lethal in just a few minutes.  FOX23 Chief Meteorologist James Aydelott says we’ll get some relief with a chance for showers and storms Sunday evening.
  • The White House communications team underwent a major change on Friday, as Press Secretary Sean Spicer turned in his resignation, Sarah Huckabee Sanders was elevated to Spicer’s job, and Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci was brought in by President Donald Trump to be the new Communications Director, delivering a new tone in dealing with the press. “The President is phenomenal with press,” said Scaramucci. “I love the President. The President is a very, very effective communicator.” While Scaramucci – known by many insiders as “Mooch” – made clear that he thinks the news media does not treat the President fairly, Mr. Trump’s new Communications Director laid out that message in a totally different way in his first few minutes in the White House Briefing Room. What is clear from Mooch's first fifteen minutes – he understands Trump in a way Spicer never was able to, from years-old relationship — Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) July 21, 2017 New White House Communications Dir. Scaramucci: 'The president is phenomenal with the press, and he's a great communicator.' pic.twitter.com/Mthqjsy31S — ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) July 21, 2017 As for Spicer, he will be replaced at the podium by Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who will move from Deputy to White House Press Secretary. Spicer, who battle relentlessly with the press, and never seemed to have the full confidence of the President, will officially leave the White House in August. “It’s been an honor and a privilege to serve President Donald Trump and this amazing country,” Spicer wrote on Twitter. “I will continue my service through August.” While there had been questions that Spicer wanted no part of working with Scaramucci, the next White House Communications Director went out of his way to praise Spicer. Scaramucci on Spicer: 'I would love to have Sean here. Sean decided he thought it would be better to go.' https://t.co/qxhTiObu1w pic.twitter.com/HgWl5765DB — CBS News (@CBSNews) July 21, 2017