The guy was cleaning up around the field hockey facility when he saw a snake that he thought was non venomous.
He picked up the animal to move it and was bitten on the hand.
Thinking it was not anything to worry about he went about his business and then went for a training run.
It was then that 26 year old Karl Berry began to have problems and collapsed.
By the time Darwin, Australia paramedics arrived Berry was unconscious and was rushed to the hospital where he later died.
It turns out the snake he picked up was a western brown, one of the most venomous in the country.
Doctors confirmed the exercise caused the venom to circulate much more quickly through Berry’s system and caused him to be sick much more quickly.
Teams in the area will all observe a minute of silence before their games this week in honor of the Commerce-Pints Hockey Club captain.