CLEVELAND — A judge says a Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has a plea deal.
Ariel Castro is in court Friday. He had been charged in a 977-count indictment that could lead to the death penalty.
Castro is scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.
The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.
They escaped Castro's house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.
Copyright The Associated Press