(MOORE, Okla.) - The 24 people killed a year ago when a tornado struck Moore were honored during a remembrance ceremony Tuesday morning.
A hospital groundbreaking followed to mark the one-year anniversary of the tornado that also left hundreds injured.
Gov. Mary Fallin and U.S. Rep. Tom Cole joined Moore city leaders at the site.
Governor Fallin said, “We will recover. Yes we will rebuild and yes we’re going to grow even stronger.”
Currently a temporary hospital sits in its place.
The new building will have a storm shelter for patients and staff.
The $29 million facility is expected to be completed in fall 2016.
Tornado survivors have filed nearly 100,000 insurance claims since last year’s tornado outbreak, with insurance payments topping $1.1 billion.
Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner John Doak commented on the anniversary.
“We lost mothers, fathers, children and friends on that tragic day,” said Doak. “We will continue to honor their lives by rebuilding our communities even stronger and making sure we are better prepared for the next disaster.”
Commissioner Doak has announced plans to hold a consumer assistance event for tornado survivors with unresolved insurance issues.
The forum will take place at Westmoore High School, 613 S. Western Ave., Oklahoma City, on June 3 at 6:00 p.m.
“We know some survivors are still having some issues,” said Doak. “We want to do all we can to help them wrap up their claim and get on with their lives.”