Tulsa, Okla. - EMSA says if you depend on medications... or medical EQUIPMENT... to stay alive, you need to make some SPECIAL preparations for a winter storm.
Here's EMSA's list of tips:
- Call your doctor or pharmacy and make sure you have 3 – 5 days’ worth of any medications you may need.
- Talk to your doctor about any doctor’s appointments that could be interrupted by severe weather, especially time-sensitive appointments such as dialysis. Plan for those appointments and transportation now.
- If you do not have warm housing, make plans ahead of time to stay at a friend or family members’ home or a shelter. If you need heating assistance, call AEP/PSO to see if you qualify for help.
- Check your carbon monoxide (CO) and smoke detectors to make sure they are working. Purchase and install new batteries, if necessary.
- Make sure you have plenty of food and water to last 3 – 5 days.
Also, EMSA says if you have friends or family who are older or homebound, check on them during the storm, because EMSA says people in bad health can't cope as well with the effects of cold temperatures.