BROKEN ARROW, Okla. - Broken Arrow shoppers can breathe easy this Black Friday. Extra officers are hitting the streets.
Officers are hitting the high-traffic areas all weekend long. Most officers will be in uniform but several will be undercover.
Regular and reserve officers will be patrolling traditionally busy shopping areas in Broken Arrow in hopes of making shopping safer for those attending the sales.
Broken Arrow Cpl. Leon Calhoun has some tips for shoppers in Broken Arrow and throughout Green Country:
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member. You are more likely to be a target if you are alone.
- Always park in lighted areas and avoid parking in remote locations when possible.
- Keep vehicle doors locked at all times, even while driving or if only out of the vehicle for a short time.
- Stay alert to your surroundings, especially while walking to and from your car. Talking or texting on your phone or digging in your purse for your keys while walking is a distraction and makes you an easy target.
- Do not carry a wallet or purse if possible. Purses/wallets are prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas. Also, never leave your purse in a buggy while you shop.
- Never leave any valuables in plain sight. Always place packages in the trunk if possible. If in an SUV, use a blanket to cover up your packages.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.
- Be careful what you post online (Facebook, etc.). Don't alert others that you aren't at home.
- Leave a radio or television and lights on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.