ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
88°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 92° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    77°
    Morning
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    87°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 92° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

FDA moves Morning After pill to over the counter

WASHINGTON — The government is moving the morning-after pill over the counter but only those 15 and older can buy it, an attempt to find middle ground just days before a court-imposed deadline to lift all age restrictions on the emergency contraceptive.

Today, Plan B One-Step is sold behind pharmacy counters, and buyers must prove they're 17 or older to buy it without a prescription.

Tuesday's decision by the Food and Drug Administration lowers the age limit and will allow the pill to sit on drugstore shelves next to spermicides or other women's health products and condoms — but anyone who wants to buy it must prove their age at the cash register.

Some contraceptive advocates called the move promising.

"This decision is a step in the right direction for increased access to a product that is a safe and effective method of preventing unintended pregnancies," said Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. "It's also a decision that moves us closer to these critical availability decisions being based on science, not politics."

But earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Edward Korman of New York blasted the Obama administration for imposing the age-17 limit, saying it had let election-year politics trump science and was making it hard for women of any age to obtain the emergency contraception in time.

He ordered an end to the age restrictions by Monday.

The women's group that sued over the age limits said Tuesday's action is not enough and it will continue the court fight.

Lowering the age limit "may reduce delays for some young women but it does nothing to address the significant barriers that far too many women of all ages will still find if they arrive at the drugstore without identification," said Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights.

The FDA said the Plan B One-Step will be packaged with a product code that prompts the cashier to verify a customer's age.

Anyone who can't provide such proof as a driver's license, birth certificate or passport wouldn't be allowed to complete the purchase.

"These are daunting and sometimes insurmountable hoops women are forced to jump through in time-sensitive circumstances, and we will continue our battle in court to remove these arbitrary restrictions on emergency contraception for all women," Northup said.

Half the nation's pregnancies every year are unintended and doctors' groups say more access to morning-after pills could cut those numbers.

The pills contain higher doses of regular contraceptives, and if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, can cut the chances of pregnancy by up to 89 percent.

The FDA had been poised to lift all age limits and let Plan B sell over-the-counter in late 2011, when Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, in an unprecedented move, overruled her own scientists.

Sebelius said some girls as young as 11 are physically capable of bearing children, but shouldn't be able to buy the pregnancy-preventing pill on their own.

President Barack Obama supported Sebelius' move and a spokesman said earlier this month that the president's position hadn't changed.

The FDA said Tuesday's decision was independent of the court case.

Instead, after the Obama administration's 2011 action, Plan B maker Teva Women's Health had filed a new application with the age-15 compromise.

Copyright The Associated Press

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

  • Police were called to a home near 15th and Sheridan Thursday afternoon. Investigators on the scene tell a KRMG reporter that the bodies of a husband and wife in their 30s were found inside the house. It’s believed to be a murder-suicide. Only one shell casing has been found so far.  Police did find a gun. Homicide detectives say the couple had two young sons who were out of town.  Listen to NEWS102.3 KRMG for the latest developments.
  • Police say a Massachusetts motorist has been arrested after getting out of her sport utility vehicle, removing her shirt and charging topless while holding a knife toward another motorist. The Cape Cod Times reports the other motorist turned out to be an off-duty police officer who called the Sandwich Police Department to report the woman.  Police say on Facebook that they received a call Saturday of an SUV driving erratically.  They say the driver attempted to crash into the caller's vehicle before pulling up behind it at a red light.  Police say the woman got out of the SUV, removed her shirt and ran toward the other vehicle while holding a dagger-like knife.  They say the 39-year-old woman is facing several charges, including assault with a dangerous weapon.
  • With half of the debate completed in the U.S. Senate on a House-passed bill to overhaul the Obama health law, Republicans have yet to reveal the details of what may be the only GOP option that can get a majority of votes, a streamlined measure which would change only a few provisions of current health law. “I don’t know what the “skinny” repeal looks like,” said Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) to a group of reporters, as he acknowledged doing the bare minimum on health care might be about the only way to keep GOP options open on changes to Obamacare. “What you’re really voting on is to try to keep the discussions alive between the House and Senate,” Corker told reporters. Corker says 'content' of skinny bill not the point, rather it is 'forcing mechanism' for conference with House — Peter Sullivan (@PeterSullivan4) July 26, 2017 The way the “skinny” Republican option has been described in recent days is this: + Zero out the tax penalty on the individual mandate (note – this does not “repeal” the mandate – it just reduces the penalty to $0). + Zero out the employer mandate penalty + Repeal the medical device tax. But there were rumblings on Wednesday that the details of the plan would have to be fiddled with, leaving GOP Senators in the dark on what they might be voting on late on Thursday night, or Friday. McCain, with his usual sass, on where he's at with skinny repeal: 'It changes every hour, how can I judge it?' — Emma Loop (@LoopEmma) July 26, 2017 “I want to see what it says; I don’t know what it says – no one knows what it says yet,” Corker said. “All of this right now is procedural setup to get to an end that none of us are certain what it’s going to look like,” said Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA). “I’d rather comment when we see it actually formulated,” said Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) of the “skinny” Senate bill. Down at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue, President Trump was continuing to press GOP Senators for action, using his platform on Twitter to make one more direct appeal on Thursday morning. Come on Republican Senators, you can do it on Healthcare. After 7 years, this is your chance to shine! Don't let the American people down! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2017 But as the day began, it wasn’t clear whether there would be 50 Republican votes for any GOP health plan in the Senate – skinny or not. For seven years, many Republicans and conservative groups have pushed a story line that wasn’t completely true about the Congressional debate on the Obama health law – that few hearings were held, that the bill text was kept a secret until the bitter end, that the House and Senate votes were done in the middle of the night, and more. Having covered the legislative battle over the Obama health law, many of those criticisms weren’t entirely accurate – but the irony right now is that the GOP may be following a health care script in 2017 which mirrors many of their own complaints from 2009 and 2010.
  • A man was killed and seven people were injured while riding the Fire Ball at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus on Wednesday. >> Watch the news report here Here are five things to know about the ride:  1. The Ohio Department of Agriculture issued a permit for the Fire Ball to Amusements of America, a carnival operator, on Wednesday, according to state documents obtained by WHIO.  >> 1 dead after ride malfunctions at Ohio State Fair 2. The Fire Ball swing riders 40 feet about the fair midway — the area where games, rides, entertainment and food booths are grouped — and spins them at 13 revolutions per minute, according to the company website.  3. The state’s chief ride inspector, Mike Vartorella, said he and his four-person crew signed off on the Fire Ball. Vartorella called the Fire Ball 'a spectacular piece' of equipment on Wednesday.  4. The Fire Ball received a “satisfactory” rating on its daily inspection report on Wednesday. The inspection report includes a total of 25 points of inspection that must be reviewed daily, including checking the attachment brackets on the seat, making sure the ride will not start with a seat fault light on, and checking operational controls, according to state documents obtained by WHIO. 5. The Fire Ball debuted in 2002 and is one of Amusements of America’s most popular thrill rides, according to the company’s website.
  • A shooting victim is not expected to survive after getting shot in the head within hearing range for Tulsa police.   Officers were already in the area for another call when they heard a barrage of gunfire at 12:51 a.m. Thursday. Police found the 37-year old female victim down on the ground between the buildings at the Town Square Apartments at 1600 East Young Place. I'm told officers had to use crowd control before they could start to try to find the shooter. There was “just quite a wide variety of descriptions of possible suspects,” TPD Captain Eric Nelson said. ”Detectives are currently trying to wade through the witnesses to be able to narrow down who the suspect in this was.” The outcome for the victim is uncertain.   “She’s in critical condition at this point. Homicide detectives have been called in.” Tulsa Police Sergeant Dave Walker said that there was an earlier disturbance between females in the complex that resulted in a female being stabbed. The victim was not cooperative, but officers determined that there were two particular apartments involved. These two apartments are involved in the shots fired that resulted in the 37 year old being injured.  At this time we are not able to name the suspect or suspects. We are continuing to investigate.  If the victim dies, this will be Tulsa’s 50th homicide for 2017.