ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
75°
Few Clouds
H 77° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    75°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 77° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    61°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 77° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    78°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 86° L 58°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg news on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg traffic on demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Krmg weather on demand

00:00 | 00:00

News

    A prominent tax protester has been convicted of issuing fake financial documents to banks and the U.S. Treasury, and failing to file tax returns. The Oregonian/OregonLive reports (https://is.gd/fvQUJz ) Winton Shrout declined comment after Friday's verdict at the federal courthouse in Portland. Government lawyers said Shrout tried to cheat banks and the government while preaching illegal schemes in paid seminars across the country. They said he sent homemade International Bills of Exchange to a small bank, each purporting to be legal tender for a trillion dollars. U.S. Tax Division lawyer Scott Wexler told jurors that Shrout hoped to 'slip one by' unsuspecting workers. The 69-year-old who moved to suburban Portland from Utah testified he was given authority to make the financial documents from the Office of International Treasury Control. Shrout also testified that he hadn't paid taxes in 20 years. He will be sentenced in August. ___ Information from: The Oregonian/OregonLive, http://www.oregonlive.com
  • It was just last month that people were wondering what was wrong with Jimmie Johnson as he got off to a slow start. How silly it was to worry. Johnson grabbed a rare victory at Bristol Motor Speedway on Monday, giving him consecutive wins for the 11th time in his storied career. It was just the second career win in Thunder Valley for Johnson, who considers it one of his most vexing tracks. His Hendrick Motorsorts team hit on something during Saturday's practice for his Chevrolet, and that locked him in for the race postponed a day by rain. 'This track has been really difficult,' admitted Johnson, who last won at Bristol in 2007. But that Saturday find was 'honestly, it's what I've been looking for for 16 years.' Johnson also on Feb. 9 at Texas Motor Speedway, NASCAR's last event prior to Monday. It ended any chatter that the seven-time and reigning champion might not be up for a record eighth title. Johnson now has 82 career victories, and is just one away from tying Cal Yarborough for sixth on the all-time wins list. Two more would put him alongside Darrell Waltrip. 'That's just mind-blowing,' Johnson said of his place in history. Johnson doesn't like Bristol, but it wasn't evident Monday as he contended with Kyle Larson, the points leader and most dominant driver of the day. A speeding penalty on Larson late in the race allowed Johnson to make it look easy in the end. Clint Bowyer finished second and Stewart-Haas Racing teammate Kevin Harvick was third. Matt Kenseth was the highest finishing Toyota driver with a very quiet fourth. Joey Logano in a Ford was fifth for Team Penske and Larson rallied to sixth. He had been dropped to 29th in the field after the penalty and making it back to the top 10 was a victory in itself for Larson. ___ More AP auto racing: www.racing.ap.org
  • ___ HICKS STICKS John Hicks is off an impressive start as a fill-in for injured Detroit first baseman Miguel Cabrera. Called up from Triple-A on Saturday morning, Hicks is 5 for 10 with a home run and six RBIs in two games. The 27-year-old made his major league debut in 2015 with Seattle and played once for the Tigers last year. He'll see some familiar faces when Felix Hernandez and the Mariners visit Comerica Park. TY TRY Giants pitcher Ty Blach gets another chance to hit against Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw. Last Oct. 1, the rookie went 2 for 3 off Kershaw, helping himself with a pair of singles while pitching eight shutout innings to win at AT&T Park. They'll match up for the second time in San Francisco, where Kershaw is 10-4 overall. BOUNCING BACK Astros ace Dallas Keuchel (3-0, 0.96 ERA) has opened the season with four straight starts of at seven innings while allowing no more than one run. Coming off a down year after winning the 2015 AL Cy Young Award, the Houston lefty hopes to stretch the string when he pitches at Cleveland. NOT YOU AGAIN Atlanta righty Julio Teheran tries to extend his dominance over the Mets and end the Braves' six-game losing streak. He has given up just three earned runs in his last 43 innings (0.63 ERA) against the Mets dating to 2015. Teheran pitched six shutout innings at Citi Field in a no-decision on opening day this year, and is set to start once more at the New York ballpark. The Mets will see how slugging outfielder Yoenis Cespedes and their other ailing starters are feeling. START IT UP The Yankees and Red Sox meet for the first of 19 games between the old rivals this year, starting at Fenway Park. Luis Severino (1-1, 4.05) pitches for New York vs. AL Cy Young Award winner Rick Porcello (1-2, 5.32) as Boston opens a season-high, 10-game homestand.
  • Quick Facts: Logan County Deputy David Wade was shot and killed while serving an eviction notice His suspected killer was arrested a few hours later after a manhunt Wade's funeral services began at 1 p.m. at the Lazy E Arena His processional followed I-35 north to Highway 33, then west to Pine, north to Summit View Cemetery  Law enforcement from multiple states came down to serve as casket guards and honored Deputy Wade FOX23 has a reporter that the services. Visit this story and FOX23 News at 5 for more Trending Now on FOX23.com Broken Arrow students dance to hits of the '80s in new lip dub video Tulsa woman has warning for others after being bitten by brown recluse spider Road project to narrow Lewis Avenue at 21st Street in Tulsa OSBI investigates body found in Osage County Trending VideoPolice: Man in east Tulsa caught trying to flush drugs down hotel toilet
  • Prosecutors on Monday charged a couple in connection with a shooting during a demonstration over the appearance of a right-wing speaker at the University of Washington in January. Elizabeth Hokoana, 29, was charged with first-degree assault with a firearm enhancement for shooting a 34-year-old protester in the abdomen. Her husband, Marc Hokoana, who was initially suspected of the shooting, was charged with third-degree assault. Joshua Dukes, 34, was critically injured in the Jan. 20 shooting. He underwent several surgeries but has been released from the hospital. The incident happened outside the appearance of Milo Yiannopoulos, a far-right commentator who is known for leading a hate campaign that resulted in a lifetime ban from Twitter. Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg said Monday that the evidence will show the two took a gun into a volatile protest on the Seattle campus. 'Marc Hokoana engaged in several provocative acts, including using pepper spray on the crowd,' Satterberg said in his statement. 'The crowd reacted predictably to being pepper sprayed, but the evidence will show that at the time Elizabeth Hokoana fired her pistol that her husband was not in imminent danger,' he added. The attorney for each defendant emailed a joint statement Monday. They declined to say more about the case. 'We have provided the police and the prosecution evidence showing that our clients acted lawfully in defense of others,' the attorneys Kim Gordon and Steven Wells said in the statement. Wells represents Elizabeth Hokoana, while Gordon represents her husband. 'We look forward to presenting our case to a jury and we anticipate an acquittal,' the attorneys said. Warrants have been issued for their arrests, but the couple is not expected to be booked before their arraignment set for May 8, according to their attorneys and the prosecutor's office. Prosecutors have sought $50,000 bail for each. ____ This story has been updated to correct the spelling of Marc.
  • Indiana wants the NBA All-Star Game and sent Larry Bird to get it — in an Indy car. Bird drove four blocks down Fifth Avenue in his specially themed car to deliver the Pacers' bid to host the 2021 game to NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, fitting his 6-foot-9 frame into a car usually driven by much shorter people. Bird, an Indiana native and now the Pacers president, had driven an Indy car only once, during a practice run for his drive Monday. 'It's a little rough ride,' he said. 'No suspension or anything, but it's fun.' Drawing a crowd of a couple hundred spectators, he maneuvered along the left lane, exited his yellow and blue 'Larry Bird' car and said it was challenging to drive because of the car's small pedals and his big feet. Bird was all smiles after his ride , which came a day after his team was eliminated from the playoffs in a first-round sweep by defending champion Cleveland. 'It's like a bucket list thing. It's in New York, so you've got to do it,' Bird said. 'If I was driving around my neighborhood I don't think I'd have had any interest in it. But coming up to New York and ride down the street for a few blocks, it's something that I wish everybody could do.' Indiana hasn't hosted the NBA All-Star Game since 1985 but has plenty of experience staging big events, including the Super Bowl and seven NCAA men's Final Fours, along with the annual Indianapolis 500. The Pacers want to combine the NBA event with high school tournaments, the Final Four and the women's Big Ten Tournament for what they said would be a 'celebration of basketball' in hoops-crazy Indiana that would last from mid-February through early April. 'This is going to be special because we know how to throw a party,' Bird said. 'We haven't had it since '85 and we look forward to getting back in the mix and having the All-Star Game, not only for our fans but for our state. We're built on basketball, that's all we have there that makes us happy — there's a lot of things that makes up happy but basketball's one. Just having the opportunity to have the All-Star Game is just great for Indiana.' The NBA recently opened the bidding process for the 2020 and '21 weekends. The Pacers delivered a multimedia bid platform that included its bid book and a map showing the ease of having the event in Indianapolis. Silver cited the state's basketball passion and the presence of owner Herb Simon, who bought the team in 1983 and is the league's longest-tenured owner, in saying that Indiana would be a strong candidate. 'I know you guys would be fantastic hosts,' Silver said.
  • Quick facts: An investigation is underway after someone discovered two bodies in Drumright. Police say the two bodies were found in a fire Monday morning. They say the fire call came from a home near South Tucker and Federal Street around 8 a.m. OSBI is assisting in what they're calling a suspicious death investigation.  Drumright police say they are working the incident as a murder-suicide. They say they found Kenneth Bray dead in the living room with a handgun near him during the fire. Investigators say they found a woman's body on the back porch area as well. She has not been identified. They say they found multiple gas cans at the residence. OSBI is not searching for any suspects at this time. DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone. Trending Now on FOX23.com Broken Arrow students dance to hits of the '80s in new lip dub video Tulsa woman has warning for others after being bitten by brown recluse spider Road project to narrow Lewis Avenue at 21st Street in Tulsa OSBI investigates body found in Osage County Trending VideoPolice: Man in east Tulsa caught trying to flush drugs down hotel toilet
  • Before Joe Thornton heads into an uncertain offseason where he could be a free agent and leave San Jose after nearly 12 years, he had more pressing business. Thornton underwent surgery on a torn ACL and MCL in his left knee Monday to repair an injury that sidelined him less than two weeks before he returned to play the final four games of a first-round series loss to the Edmonton Oilers. 'I've been in this business a long time,' general manager Doug Wilson said. 'You see a player play with that type of injury tells you all you need to know about him.' Thornton downplayed the injury before the team announced the severity of what he played through and the surgery, calling it simply 'the normal stuff that hockey players deal with' at this time of the season. But his willingness to play four playoff games on basically one leg at age 37, and record two assists, was just another example of how important he is to San Jose and why the team wants him back this summer before he can become a free agent. 'Basically his knee is floating there,' coach Peter DeBoer said. 'It was as courageous an effort, him doing what he did, as I've ever seen. And I didn't see a drop off in his game. I know the point production wasn't there. I think there's some answers for that, including power play and fatigue and some things like that. Until his level drops where he has to take a reduced role, that's not even on my radar.' The futures of Thornton and teammate Patrick Marleau are the biggest questions for San Jose headed into the offseason. The two have been the face of the Sharks for years, with Marleau joining as the second-overall draft pick in 1997 and Thornton coming in a trade from Boston in 2005. 'I want to come back,' Thornton said. 'I think this is a Stanley Cup-caliber team and I think I'm a little bit older and I realize how good this team is. Of course, I'd like to come back. But we'll have to see. I'm sure we'll be talking.' They have been two of the league's most prolific players during their tenure, with Marleau scoring his 500th career goal this season and Thornton recording his 1,000th assist. Thornton's production fell a bit this season. His 50 points were his fewest in a non-lockout season since he was a teenager in Boston in 1998-99. Thornton was also a key part of a power play that was ranked 25th in the regular season after years of being at the top of the league. Marleau scored 27 goals this season and played a stronger overall game as evidenced by his improving plus-minus from negative 22 to four. Both players will turn 38 before the start of next season, raising questions about how long San Jose will want to commit to them. 'Guys like that aren't growing on trees,' defenseman Brent Burns said. 'Both those guys, you hear about the age stuff, those guys are both in great shape. Every day they put the work in. They're elite players. Age doesn't matter.' Wilson called both players cornerstones of the franchise on and off the ice and seemed interested in them coming back. Both players also publicly expressed the same desire but the sides must come to terms on length and value. There have been no talks yet between the parties and it is extremely unlikely any deal would be finalized before the expansion draft in June. The other key questions for the Sharks headed into the offseason are who they will protect in the expansion draft and will they be able to reach long-term extensions with goalie Martin Jones and shut-down defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic. Both players are eligible for free agency in 2018 but can sign extensions after July 1. Wilson said he would like to get those deals done before training camp. 'Both of them are extremely important to get under contract,' Wilson said. 'Those are priorities.' ___ More AP NHL: https://www.apnews.com/tag/NHLhockey
  • The U.S. State Department's recent promotion of President Donald Trump's Florida resort is drawing criticism from Democrats and ethics advocates. Mar-a-Lago is described in an April 4 blog post as 'Trump's Florida estate,' where he has hosted foreign leaders. The post says, 'By visiting this 'winter White House,' Trump is belatedly fulfilling the dream of Mar-a-Lago's original owner and designer.' Left unsaid: Mar-a-Lago is part of Trump's business empire. After his election, the resort doubled its membership fee to $200,000. As president, Trump has visited the property seven times. The post originated on 'Share America,' a State Department project designed for 'engaging foreign audiences on important global issues.' It has been republished by several U.S. embassies abroad. The State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.